CHPT. 2: Strange

"How are we today?" Louis asks, walking up to Harry's usual table, trying to calm the stupid butterflies in his stomach.

Harry looks up from his phone, his frown turning into a faint smile, "Could be better." he says, turning over his phone on the table, "And how are you?"

Louis pretends to think hard about it, "Mmm, I'm feeling good. I have finals in a few weeks and I'm feelin' pretty good about it."

This makes Harry smile, "I'm happy to hear that. And how's Bebe?"

"She's probably listening to every word you're saying," Louis giggles, turning to the kitchen to see if he can catch Bebe watching them again. When he sees no sign of her, he turns back to Harry, "But she's good too."

Harry nods, seemingly genuinely happy to hear about Louis.

"What can I get you today?" Louis asks, pulling his writing pad and pen.

"I think just a coffee today," Harry says, picking up his buzzing phone, "long night ahead of me."

Louis nods, even though Harry is typing on his phone. He makes a fresh pot for Harry, suspiciously eyeing the handsome man from behind the counter.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Bebe takes Louis out of his reverie. She puts down a bin of dishes and leans against the counter.

"Mmm... yeah" Louis says, pouring the coffee into the cup, "Has Harry ever told me what he does for a living?"

Bebe takes a minute to think. Her being Louis' best friend, she knows everything Louis does about Harry-- in fact, about any potential significant other. And let me say, there is a lot of potential here.

"I think sales and marketing?" Bebe purses her lips, trying to remember.

"Hm," Louis sets a spoon on the saucer, "Poor guy. His phone is ringing like crazy. He said it was going to be a long night."

"Well more hot babe time for you" Bebe says with a wink. Louis laughs, taking the coffee to Harry's table.

As Louis approaches the table, he can't help but notice the deep set frown in Harry's face. His eyebrows are pulled down and he's listening intently, obviously unhappy with whatever the other line has to say.

"I understand your concern," Harry says cooly, making Louis slow his steps, "But if you ever disrespect me like that again-- you're done."

Louis clears his throat, giving a Harry to compose himself as Louis approaches. Harry hangs up the phone without a goodbye and cracks his neck.

Louis sets down the coffee for him and Harry smiles, "Thank you."

"Of course, let m-" Louis starts, but is interrupted by Harry's phone ringing again, to which Harry rolls his eyes.

"Oh, I'll just-" Louis tries to excuse himself, but Harry tugs his arm.

"No, stay." Harry insists, "I wanna hear about your history test. It'll be a second." He picks up the phone and Louis awkwardly shift his weight from foot to foot.

"Yeah?" Harry answers the phone. Louis can't help but notice the unusual greeting to his colleague. He also notes Harry's face immediately turning to a frown again.

"What do you mean? Where?" Harry asks the person on the other line. His voice sounds urgent, but he quickly changes his tune with a side glance to Louis.

"You know what? We'll talk about this... new development when I get there." Harry says, offering a grin to Louis, "Yeah. Bye."

Harry hangs up the phone, sighing deeply-- almost dramatically, "That was the office."