Heartbreak Horizon

It's a Monday morning at around 6 a.m. Mom is busy preparing breakfast. Dad is sitting at the breakfast table reading the news paper. By coincidence he spots an article about Pentatonix maybe coming to South Africa.

"I have to show Elsa this." Dad says. "Yes, she'll be very excited, but...." "But?" "I'm worried about her Jeremy. She's been complaining about severe headaches and they're getting worse." Mom says. "Don't worry hun. She'll be fine. She probably has flu." Dad reassures her.

Elsa comes in yawning. "Morning mom. Morning dad. Breakfast smells delicious." She says. "Are you feeling ok love?" Mom asks. "Yeah, I'm ok." Elsa says as she takes a seat. She eats her breakfast, enjoying every bite. "Look here, Elsa. Pentatonix might be coming to SA." Elsa takes the paper from her dad and suddenly freezes. She finds herself running to the bathroom. She's throwing up, and its bad.

"Here's some water." Mom says coming in with a cold glass of water in her hands. "Are you gonna stay home or....?" "No, I'll be alright." Slowly looking to the mirror she takes a sip of water and pulls her school uniform right. Heading back to her bedroom she takes her backpack and walks down the hall, through the living room and out the door.

------------------

Scott arrives at the Port Elizabeth International airport. It feels like home to him. He smiles as he realizes he'll be able to see Elsa again. He walks to the car rental area. He pays, takes the keys and off he goes: straight to the hotel.

He arrives back to his second home once more and waits at reception. Suddenly his phone vibrates in his pocket. Mitch.

"Hey Scott. Hope you arrived safely there." "Yeah, thanks. Listen Mitch, did you contact...." "Yes, I did. We lost the contract...."

Suddenly sadness starts to fill Scott. They had a chance, a huge one, and they lost it.

"Isn't there another way, Mitch?" "This will give you the answer: Fame or Elsa?" For a moment there is silence. "Elsa of course....but" "No buts, Scott. Remember what I said. You've got a gold mine in your hands. There will be other chances, Scott, but there's only ONE ELSA."

As usual, Mitch was right. "Ok." "Have you seen her yet?" "No, I'm going to her house after I've settled in." "Good luck! We're holding thumbs for you!" Mitch says goodbye and they hang up. The receptionist arrives. "Hello sir....same room as last time?" "Yes please, thank you ma'm." She types on the computer then calls someone to lead Scott to his room. The assistant comes and they both head upstairs. "I miss you Elsa" Scott whispers as he walks on.

-------------------

Later that afternoon Elsa's dad came home earlier from work. Mom is busy washing dishes, singing a song from The Script, her and Elsa's favourite band. While dad is watching TV and mom's washing dishes the phone rings. Mom picks it up. "Yes? Yes its her mother speaking." Suddenly tears overflows her face. "We'll be right there..." She slowly puts down the phone. "What's wrong hun?" Dad asks.

"Elsa...she's....unconscious. She fainted at school and hasn't come by since...." Mom says crying. "What? That's not possible." "Well that's what they said. She's in St. Georges Hospital." Silence fills the kitchen for a few seconds then dad rushes over to take his car keys. "Let's go." He says taking mom's hand. They rush out the door and get in the car, speeding towards the hospital.

Arriving there they're taken to their daughter's room. Elsa is just lying there with her eyes closed, peacefully asleep. Moments later the doctor walks in. "Doctor!" Elsa's mom calls. "Hi, we're Elsa's parents. What's wrong with my angel.?"

"I've looked at the tests, ma'm, and unfortunately...." She stops in her sentence, as if she's too afraid to say anything. "She's been diagnosed with Meningitis. Meningococcal Meningitis to be precise." Elsa's mom feels as her knees give in and she falls to the ground, her face overflowing with tears. Suddenly a buzz comes from the machines and Mom is silent. "What is it? What's going on."

They found out soon enough. Elsa Marcus is in coma.

--------------------

Hours later after settling in he drives to Elsa's house. While he's driving he sings "La La Latch". Again, as if every word is for her.

Eventually he stops, and knocks on the door. "Hello, is Elsa here?"

"I'm sorry, Scott..." Elsa mom says crying. "She's not here...she's in...hospital....."

Scott stood there, frozen."In....in hospital? What? Where?" He couldn't think. "St. Georges Hospital....." With that Scott runs back to his car and he speeds down the street, stops, and turns left heading for the hospital...praying all the way.

He runs into the building and stops at the information desk. "Hello, can you please tell me where Elsa Marcus is?" "She's up in intensive care. You'll have to....." Before she could finish her sentence, Scott runs quickly down the hall and follows the arrows and stops at the next desk. "Hi there, I came to see Elsa Marcus."

"Let me see.....she's up in B6, sir" "Thank You" he says and rushes down the hall again.

Finally he makes in and walks into the room, finding Elsa lying there with the doctor standing by her side, examining her. "Sorry doctor, may I....?" "Yes, sir you may. Your name?" "Scott. I'm Elsa's...." "Boyfriend?"

Scott looks at Elsa and he suddenly starts to cry. Drying his tears he looks back to the doctor. "Yes." He replies, almost inaudible. The doctor walks up to Scott, looking in his eyes.

"Welcome to Heartbreak Horizon......" "What do you mean?" "She's in coma, Scott. We don't know when she'll be ok again...."

As the doctor leaves Scott sits on the chair beside Elsa's bed. He takes her hand and holds it tight.

"Please....wake up Elsa....I'll never be the same without you....."

He holds her hand tighter:

"Please don't leave me?!"