Mannat

MANNAT

1996…… RajhandPur, Pakistan

“Agha sahib! Agha sahib!.....” the man was shouting at the top of his lungs, the environment around him was royal; a huge hall, lavishly decorated with antiques, silk and chiffon draperies hanging from the ceiling, the floor was covered with Iranian plush carpets and rugs, a huge pianoforte was placed in one corner. The hall was shimmering with the lights of beautiful chandeliers.

“What is wrong Deenoo? Why are you panting so heavily?” A very elegantly dressed lady came into the hall and inquired, looking at the servant all panting and trying to catch his breath

mem saab! Mubarak ho, Islamabad se phone aya tha Shakooran bibi ka, beti hui hai chote sab k han” deenoo told her with a huge grin plastered on his face, still trying to catch his breath.

“Oh Deenoo! We already know this, and yes, it's great news, Allah is indeed the most granting and merciful. In fact Agha sahib has planned a visit to Islamabad already, you were out of the village so we couldn’t inform you” She smiled at him and he made a sad face.

mujhe laga ye khushkhabri mein doon ga Agha saab ko sab se pehle” Deenoo said in a sad tone and She smiled and patted his shoulder.

“Don’t worry, Deenoo! And yes, you are coming with us to Islamabad; we are leaving in an hour. So please make sure everything is in place… ask the drivers to check the cars, and Agha sahib will go in the Lexus. Do put all the sweets, gifts and that baby’s trunk in the car…. You know Agha sahab’s temperaments so make sure things are perfectly arranged” She gave him orders and then kindly smiled at him at the end.

mem saab fiker he na Karen ap, sare kaam mein khud dekhoon ga koi shikayat nai hogi bare sahib ko. Phir aakhir kaar 20 saal bad itni bari khushi naseeb hui hea, intizamaat mein koi kami nai hogi, inn shaa Allah” Deenoo said, slightly bowing down, in an ardent servant’s tone.

Waliyudeen Agha; the royal highness of RajandhPur, has lived a lavish life since the Subcontinent partition. He fought in the battles of India, Pakistan at the partition time. His father died fighting for the rights of Muslims, he himself faced so many hardships in his early life which made him rough and tough. He was the royal descendant of Agha Jalal’s family tree. He had four sons, no daughter. And by the will of God, all of his sons had no daughters at all… he craved for the presence of a daughter and now, a granddaughter. After 20 years, his youngest son Salaar Agha was blessed with a daughter. Salaar; a reputed business man, his name was well heard among the steel mill owners of the country, was married to his half cousin Nafeesa begum; a Neurosurgeon at Islamabad PIMS. Salaar refused to have the royal seat after his father and willingly surrendered, Agha sent him US for studies and when he returned, got married and settled in Islamabad.

“Akram! I have told everything to Zahid, help him out. Distribute clothes, food and sweets throughout the village and no home, no person should be left behind. Understand?” Agha Sahab was giving few final instructions to his men before leaving for Islamabad to meet the wish of his lifetime, his granddaughter.

“Agha Sahab don’t worry, I will handle everything. Please pay my slam to Salaar sahib and the little princess” Akram said politely, he was Agha Sahab’s right hand.

Waliyudeen Agha along with his wife Haleema, headed towards Islamabad. They were super excited to see their granddaughter who was definitely going to be the apple of their eyes.

“Haleema! I have decided to compile my will now” Agha Sahab told her, he was in deep thoughts

“I am sure you have thought a lot about this, but don’t you think it's too early” Heleema said looking closely at his face, full of wrinkles; the lines of experience they call it.

“hmm I think it’s the right time, I wanted a daughter we never had one, now I have my granddaughter. My wish is fulfilled by the grace of Allah, I don’t want anything else Haleema” Agha sahba said looking out of the window, his face had a glimpse of grief, he always wanted a daughter but then again his face lit up with joy at the thought of the little princess.

“I think you better know about these issues, if you think the time is right then go ahead” Haleema put a hand on his, and he smiled at her

“I have decided, that I will give all my Islamabad property to my granddaughter, what do you think? I hope I am not being biased here” he said very seriously and checked his wife’s expressions

“You are the most just man I have ever seen in my life Agha Sahab, don’t get carried away with these thoughts. I know whatever you will decide our sons won’t have any issue with that, especially Salaar.” Haleema assured him

“Yeah! He is always so indifferent in these things; he never wanted anything from this state or the position or anything. He is always so obedient so is Nafeesa” Agha sahib said, a sense of pride and satisfaction in his tone was evident and Haleema smiled

“I just can’t wait to see her and my granddaughter, you told me you thought about a name. What was that?” Haleema asked

“I always wished for her and now she finally came in our lives Haleema, mein ne buhat duaaen ki hen is din k liye apni poti (granddaughter) k liye. Wo meri mannat hai! Mannat!” Agha sahib said and Haleema gave him a smile.

“Mannat!...Beautiful name