4

Chase

It was simple.

All I had to do was protect Skye from Sweetie. Then, I could go back.

Easy.

Not!

Sweetie was a dangerous person. She was violent. Relentless. Manipulative.

...Forceful...

But I had to do it. I had to do it for Skye. That was my goal in life - protecting her. If she was safe and happy, my world was at peace.

I could go back as an angel and choose who and what could see me. I could come back for advice. Then, when everything was done, I'd be back.

The time I'd been gone would be replaced with false memories and only me and whoever was involved would remember.

The fewer people that knew, the better. So I'd decided;

I was going back.

And only letting Skye see me.

I turned to my father and his friend, smiling slightly.

"You sure about this, Son?" Dad asked. I nodded confidently.

"Definitely. She needs me."

"Okay. We'll see you soon."

"Not too soon." Marshall's father piped up, making me chuckle a little. I felt a familiar fizzing sensation as the world around me faded away.

I opened my eyes and noticed I was in Skye's room. She wasn't there. I'd spent plenty of time here but I couldn't help but let my curiosity get the better of me. I looked at the walls, covered in photos, postcards and little notes I'd sent her over the years we'd been together.

I looked at one particular photo and smiled. It was one Marshall had taken of us when we went on a squad holiday.

 It was one Marshall had taken of us when we went on a squad holiday

The memory Came flooding back...

"I can't wait to get in that..." Skye began. She was cut off by a loud clap of thunder and the deafening sound of rain. Her bag fell from her hand and landed on the floor with a thud. "Pool." She sighed.

"Okay, who's idea was it to come hewe at this time of yeaw?!" Zuma hollered from his and Rocky's room.

"Blame my boyfriend!" Everest laughed.

"It was cheaper!" Marshall argued.

"I'll get the hot chocolate going." Rubble rolled his eyes and headed to the kitchen.

"Fuck that! I want my pina colada." Everest followed him.

Skye was stood leaning against the window. I walked up and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Whatcha thinking?" I asked, rubbing her shoulder.

"I really wanted to go in the pool." She laughed. I smiled at her.

"Well, we can both do something we want to do?" I suggested.

"What?"

"Come with me." I pulled her outside.

"Chase!" She shrieked as the rain soaked her. I just laughed and pulled off my shirt, leaving me in my swim shorts. I ran and, somewhat gracefully, dived into the water.

"You're insane!" Skye laughed.

"You wanted to go swimming!" I called back, laughing. "Come on." My girlfriend pulled off her shirt and shorts, now only in her swimsuit and sat on the edge, slipping her legs in the water and pulling them away soon after.

"It's freezing!" She yelled.

"Oh come on!" I grabbed her waist and pulled her in with me, making her giggle.

"What was it you wanted to do anyway?" She asked, turning in my arms to face me.

"I wanted to kiss a pretty girl in the rain." I said honestly.

"Why am I here then?"

"Shut up." I smiled, pulling her closer until her lips were on mine and her body pushed against me.

My thoughts were interrupted by a door opening - the front door.

"Okay, thanks for bringing me home, Mum." There was that angel's voice.

The door closed and a car left the driveway. There were footsteps coming closer to the room. I sat cross-legged on the bed and waited.

The door opened and there she was.

My princess.

"Hi Darlin'."