Chapter 12

Abby laid in her bed, staring up at the ceiling. She meant to go to bed a while ago, but she couldn't stop thinking. Unlike she had felt for the last two days, she was finally getting a sense of what Slenderman meant when he said she was insane. Thoughts ran through her head like an endless cycle, and all she wanted to do was scream, punch something, or even kill someone. She felt like if anyone came in she would lash out and hurt them.

She felt wrong. Like everything in the world was wrong. She felt scared like someone would hurt her. What if she wasn't safe there, she thought? Sure, Slenderman said she was, but he was a monster. Like all the others. They could be manipulating her and just tricking her to think that so she could become one of their victims. 

She didn't want to be at the house with them, she felt like she shouldn't be there. She wasn't normal. This wasn't normal. These people aren't normal. None of this is. But she couldn't be anywhere else. If she had really murdered someone, she couldn't go back to society. She couldn't be a normal person. 

Her heart raced, and she felt like she was going to vomit. She couldn't breathe, and her body wouldn't stop shaking. Why did everything hurt so bad? Her head, her stomach, her leg, her thoughts. It all hurt so bad.

She was terrified. Why couldn't she remember anything? Why didn't she feel like she belonged in her body? Why couldn't she just be normal?

What if the others killed her? What if everyone secretly hated her? What if they were all lying to her? What if she goes to kill someone and gets hurt or even killed? What if the police find her and she rots in prison? 

What if, what if, what if?

She rocks back and forth, tears building in her eyes as her mind continued racing. She feared she would spend the rest of her days like this. Maybe she just felt calm because of some trance, and now she would be like this forever. She didn't want to be like this forever.

She grabbed her journal and decided to write down her thoughts in an attempt to calm down. It helped a little bit, enough for her to stop shaking. She rolled over, staring at her wall. But her thoughts wouldn't stop. She got out of bed, thinking maybe if she went downstairs with the others she could feel better.

She heads downstairs, sitting down on the couch. Only BEN and Toby were down there, Toby eating a bag of chips, and BEN playing a game, per usual. "Hey newbie," Toby greets, grinning at her. She smiles back softly. She still felt sick to her stomach.

"How's it going?" BEN asked. 

She shrugged, responding with, "I don't know. Thinking a lot."

BEN nods and Toby watches BEN play. "Yeah, it's always like that at first. Just know that you're safe. And that it's going to be okay. Soon, everything will make sense," he told her.

She smiled at him. That helped calm her down. She was safe. Everyone here was like her. They weren't just pretending, that was just her delusions. 

"Here," BEN says, passing over a controller. "Play a little bit, that helps me calm down."

She takes it gratefully, and the two of them starts playing Mario Cart. They talk for a bit while they play, and Abby is much worse than BEN. But she doesn't stress about it, she doesn't play games much. A little bit later, Jeff walks in. He's covered in blood and his hair is disheveled. He notices how bad she's playing and smiles. "Damn shorty, you fucking suck at that," he says.

BEN raises an eyebrow, glancing at him. "Like you're any better," he responds, defending Abby.

Jeff glares at him. "Oh really? Move aside, bitch. Let me play," he says. BEN hands him his controller as Jeff sits next to Abby. They start a new game with Jeff and Abby, along with a bunch of bots. In the beginning, Abby is losing horribly to Jeff. The two of them are ahead of the other bots, though. Soon she catches up but still doesn't pass him. 

She's proven lucky when a bot behind Abby manages to strike Jeff off of the road with a turtle shell. Jeff starts cursing as Abby passes him and the finish line, coming in first place. "Goddammit!" Jeff shouts, throwing the remote at the couch. Abby falls into a giggling mess along with Toby and BEN as Jeff whines. 

She feels happy. She knows she belongs here. With these people. They're like her. Even if they weren't normal, they were her family. It's where she wanted to be.