Chapter 21

Abby scurried around the house, looking everywhere. Jeff trailed behind her, checking things as well. She stops in a hallway as she spots a picture of the two of them, standing with her. She chokes out a small, "who... who are they?" She had a pained expression on her face, looking like she was questioning everything.

"I don't know... do you want to check their phones?" he asked her softly, trying not to upset her anymore. Abby looks over at him and nods, and they head back to the bedroom. When they picked up the phones, they luckily didn't have a password. Jeff scrolled through the woman's phone, and Abby scrolled through the man's. She finds texts with her name on it. She clicks it, and finally figures it out. 

Abby: Dad when are you and mom gonna come visit?

Sean: Abby you're an adult, you don't need your parents anymore.

Abby: That doesn't mean I don't miss you!

Sean: Stop being a brat, you've always just been a problem. Stop contacting your mother and I, we made you move out for a reason.

Abby collapsed to the floor on her knees, hyperventilating. Memories flowing back into her head from her childhood, and what it was like. 

"Abby you're just a problem, go to your fucking room, I don't want to deal with you," her father hissed at her as her mother stood and watched, not saying anything.

"You never meant anything to us, Abby. We legally have to take care of you."

"Don't talk back to me! I'm your father! You have no right to argue with me!"

Abby looked down at the bottle of pills in her hand. It was brand new, and she knew what she wanted to do. She opened the cap, holding her water bottle next to her. She took a handful, and threw her head back, swallowing the pills and taking a large drink of water. She continued this until she felt tired, and went to bed.

Abby woke up, vomiting over the side of the bed. She felt like her organs were collapsing and she felt horrible. She went to her mom, telling her she had tried to kill herself. She was rushed to the hospital, her father yelling at her the whole time. "How dare you do this!? You're making your mother and I seem like horrible parent's! Your mother should have just gotten an abortion," he screamed as he drove.

Abby cowered in a corner, crying violently as her father kicked her weak stomach. "They should have kept you in that stupid program, I didn't want you back home," he spat at her. 

Abby heard her front door lock turn, and she rushed to her room. It wasn't good enough though, as her father shouted at her from downstairs. She made her way down and her father began screaming at her for the littlest things. This happened every time he had a bad day.

Abby grit her teeth staring at messages she had sent her father. He never answered. After she turned 18, he kicked her out and said to never contact her again. She asked him to visit, asked him to at least text her, but he never cared. No matter how much he hurt her, she felt it was her fault. She just wanted a father.

Abby threw up from her violent hyperventilating, her panic attack overwhelming every part of her body. She couldn't see Jeff, she couldn't hear Jeff, all she could see were this visions overflowing her brain. She sobbed violently, holding her hand to her mouth. She could barely breathe, taking harsh gasps every few seconds. She shook harder than she ever had.

She felt arms wrap around her body, and hold her close. She heard a soft voice she recognized tell her, "sh, it's okay. You're going to be okay." She felt someone softly petting her hair. 

She slowly calmed down, still crying, but the holding had grounded her. She leaned into the touch, her eyes closed. She still had a hard time breathing, but she wasn't shaking as bad anymore. She focussed on her breathing, trying to calm herself down some more.

Soon, she slowly opened her eyes and looked at who was holding her. It was Jeff, of course. She just couldn't identify things well when she was so worked up. "He never deserved to live," she said quietly. "He never did. He's the reason I'm so fucked up."

She swallowed thickly as more memories filled her head, but not as strongly as the others. Jeff holds her, the two sitting in the middle of the floor as Jeff whispered to her softly, telling her it was okay. "Abby, I know it hurts. I know. But you're going to be okay. You're safe now. You're safe with us. You're safe with me."

Abby stopped crying but still had a hard time breathing. "I understand now," she said. "I understand why we do what we do. Humans don't deserve to live. All they do is hurt others."

"I know," Jeff responded. "That's why you're where you're supposed to be. With us. We'll never hurt you like humans will."