The Phone Call

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! An alarm clock blared through the small apartment. In the darkness, a beacon of light outlined a closed door. Soft, quiet footsteps approached the door and stopped. A annoyed, yet soft, knock echoed through the darkened room. A female voice whispered yelled its way inside the room.

"Elly, will shut that damn thing off? I can hear it from down the hall! I'll be in the kitchen when you wake up." The grouchy, yet tender voice spoke. The footsteps formed again, becoming ever so quiet until they disappeared down a hall. A slow rising hand hovered over the alarm clock, hitting the off button.

Ellyana sat up, turning towards her small bedside table to read the clock. In bright red letters it read 5:04 a.m. Ellyana sighed as she leaned over to turn her lamp on. Just before she did it though, Ellyana remembered that she unpacked her Amazon Alexa. Ellyana smiled, leaning back into her bed frame.

"Alexa," the small black machine chimed, "Turn the lights 20% brighter." Just like magic, the blue fairy lights scattered throughout Ellyana's room illuminated. Ellyana smiled as she swung her legs over the side of her bed. Ellyana slipped on her blue slippers, standing up to stretch.

Ellyana was 24 years old and stood about 5'2". She had a pale complexion complemented by electric blue eyes. Her nose and cheeks starred with freckles are clear since she doesn't have makeup on yet. Her thin lips were covered in a coat of chapstick. Elly's curly, brunette, shoulder-length hair was tied up in a messy ponytail.

Ellyana softly stepped over to her closet, opening the wooden doors. "Another day just like the rest I've seen," Ellyana grabbed the metal hanger that held her waitress uniform, taking it out of the closet, "...Guess I gotta get going." Ellyana turned around, stepping into her bathroom to get ready.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The door squeaked open as Ellyana exited her room. She adjusted her apron as she walked down the hall into the apartments full living space, including a den, kitchen, dining room, and an exit to a balcony. Ellyana noticed her roommate unpacking some of their moving boxes in the kitchen, like she said she would be. Before making herself known, Ellyana checked the time on her watch. 5:26 a.m. Just enough time to make coffee. Ellyana leaned on the doorway of the kitchen.

"Bree? Did you really just get up this early to continue unpacking?" Ellyana's small voice asked. Her voice was quiet and kind, a slight Australian accent slipping through. Ellyana tucked a stray piece of her side bangs behind her ear as she awaited for a response.

Bria was 5'9" at the age of 26. Her bright brown eyes went together with her olive skin tone. Her hair was a deep brown, cut to be a layered, cropped hair. She wore light makeup, mascara and eyeliner. Bria's outfit was sweet and simple. Black jeans, a white collared shirt, some dress shoes, and a black blazer. She also wore a black choker around her neck. Bria's voice was gentle yet proud. It always sounded like she was ready to party, or just always excited.

"Of course not! I got up this early because..." She thought for a moment as she scanned the kitchen. Bria's brown eyes landed on one of the full cups of coffee she had made. Bria picked up the dark blue mug, holding it out for Ellyana, "I wanted to make you coffee! Not because I wanted to get everything unpacked so we could actually start having fun." Bria complained as Ellyana took her coffee mug.

"Well, it's gonna have to wait for a little while, because—" Ellyana was cut off by her phone buzzing in her apron. A small part of "Kick it up a Notch" begins to play from her phone.

"You've gotta
Kick it up a notch
If you're ever gonna reach your goal
You can't sit around and watch
Your destiny is in your control—"