Chapter 6

"I'll be alright! Just let me sit quietly for a moment." Bilbo fainting is now one of my favourite things to remenber. As soon as he woke up I gave him my grandmother's tea to help him relax, I would have done it sooner but certain dwarves never stopped staring at me while I was doing the tea, and it was getting me on my nerves. Why can't they stop doing that? I sat next to Bilbo to assure than he was okay. 

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long. Tell me, when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remenber a young hobbit who was always running off in search of Elves in the woods. Who would stay out late, come home after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies. A young hobbit who would have liked nothing better than to find out what was beyond the borders of The Shire."
So that's why Gandalf want to bring him, he wants to help Bilbo bring out that side of him again. "The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there." 

I stared out of the window, I don't understand why Bilbo doesn't want to come with us, is he afraid that something might happen to him? I started fantasizing about the things we might see, but the hobbit took me out of my trance.
"I can't just go running off into the blue! I am a Baggins of Bag End!"

"You are also a Took! Did you know that your great-great-great-great Uncle Bullroarer Took was so large he could ride a real horse?" Bilbo nodded and whispered a yes. "Well, he could! At the Battle of Greenfields, he charged the Goblin ranks. He swung his club so hard, it knocked the Goblin King's head clean off and it sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole. And thus the battle was won, and the game of golf invented at the same time."
I giggled and Bilbo couldn't contain a smile. "I do believe you made that up."

"Well, all good stories deserve embellishment. You'll have a tale or two to tell of your own when you come back." There was a small moments of silence.
"Can you promise that I will come back?" 

"No. And if you do... You will not be the same, and that includes (Y/N)." I looked down, yeah, I knew about that, I just didn't accept that yet. "That's what I thought."
Bilbo gave me the cup and got up. "Sorry, Gandalf, (Y/N). I can't sign this. You've got the wrong hobbit and please, do take care of (Y/N)." The hobbit turns around and walks away, probably to his room. I appreciated his concern for me, it seems that people here don't take too well that a woman goes on adventures.

I looked at Gandalf who seemed troubled at Bilbo's rejection. "Don't worry Gandalf. He can always change ideas. Who knows, right?" Gandalf smiled a bit and nodded. "(Y/N), do you trust Bilbo?" I look down. "I mean... I don't trust him, yet. But if you have confidence that he will come and help us, then so will I." I patted his shoulder gently as I got up and made my way to the kitchen. 

"Lass!" I turned around to see Balin and Thorin. "Could you come here for a second?" I walked to them almost immediately, the two dwarves looked at each other awkwardly and after some time Thorin is the first one to talk. "I wanted to thank you.. For safekeeping the key." I smiled at him, but it quickly vanished from my lips. "My pleasure. I'm sorry that I was too harsh earlier..." Thorin gave me a genuine smile.

" Thorin gave me a genuine smile

"Don't apologize, vaen." Balin stared and gasped at Thorin's words, but he shut his mouth as I looked at him. What does vaen mean? They have called me that twice already. I heard the dwarf king chuckle at my confused expression and I couldn't help but flush. "I'll leave you to be, g-good night." They bowed and I walked away, so the king has doubts and then acts all nice, I do not understand dwarfs. 

I once again walk to the kitchen and there I find Fili and Kili, they greet me and help me with the dishes. "Sooo... You use a bow?" Kili sits away from us and smirks at me. "I mean, I think I'm good enough to take down some orcs, but I'll always appreciate some help." I smile at him and his eyes shined. "Tho, I'm a disgrace with swords." Fili smiles and gets closer to me. "I can train you, you seem quite strong. I'm sure you can take it."

"Don't be so positive about that, you should have seen Gandalf training me for the last few months." The brothers chuckled, these two must have at least the same age as me, but I'm sure that's not true. I turn around to grab dirty plates but notice Kili watching me instead.

Was he staring at me? I mean none of them have stopped since I came, but this is ridiculous, I'm not that amazing

Was he staring at me? I mean none of them have stopped since I came, but this is ridiculous, I'm not that amazing. I give him a little smile and he grins as he looks down, Kili is actually really cute, I mean, in my eyes of course. I'm sure that no dwarf would like to be called cute.

I know that something is wrong as I see the dwarves walking slowly to the living room, Fili and Kili stopped helping me as they saw them, maybe it was something very important with Thorin as I watched them leave with a small apology, I cleaned my hands and walked to one of the bedrooms, I was so tired of today and I needed a good sleep. I closed my eyes, but then I heard voices singing... And I finally felt at ease after many years...

'Far over the misty mountains cold

To dungeons deep and caverns old

We must away, ere break of day

To find our long-forgotten gold

The pines were roaring on the heights

The wind was moaning in the night

The fire was red, it flaming spread

The trees like torches blazed with light...'