PROLOGUE

However unlucky she thought she was, Grace didn't think it would get any worse. As blood seeped through her shirt she realised she had been wrong.

The open wound in her chest was a type of pain she'd never experienced. Worse than a broken heart, than a broken bone. It filled her whole body, every inch of her on fire. She was dying and agony was the only thing she could feel.

"M-Mom..." she choked out. Her mother stood frozen in horror in the middle of the yard, the rifle still aimed at Grace.

"Whatever you are!" She yelled, "Whatever you've done with my daughter! I'm not having it! You... You're a demon! Go back to hell! I won't let you poison my family!"

"Mom! Grace!" Danielle came running out of the house only to stop in the doorway. "I heard gunshots,  wha- Grace!"

Grace looked up at her sister who ran to her in horror. She pressed her hand against Grace's wound in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding.

"You get away from her, Danni!" Their mother yelled, "She's a demon sent to destroy us all!"

"She's not! Mom this is your daughter! It's Grace!" Danielle cried, "it's going to be okay," she added to Grace whose eyes had begun to fall shut.

She tried to stand, to lift Grace up.

"Help! Help please! My sister... my sister's been shot... please... I need someone to help me... please..." Danielle yelled as loud as she could.

"It's going to be alright," she said holding Grace in her arms trying to stop the blood from pouring out, "I'm right here, you're safe, I promise you'll be okay."

Grace's tears fell down her cheeks as she lost consciousness.

"Everything is going to be alright."