CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Her reflection smiled back at her as Grace looked into the clear water. She sat on her hands and knees, the concrete cold under her hands.

"Um, excuse me?"

Grace sat up, turning to her right. A young girl stood there, her hands clasped together tightly. Grace didn't know her and she knew everyone. There she must be-

"I'm India," the girl said, "You... your niece."

She looked terrified which Grace wasn't surprised at; after all seeing your mother yell at someone before being choked up her own jewelry wasn't a nice experience.

"Hi," Grace said smiling. She got to her feet.

India looked like her mother, the same sandy brown hair, the same round hazel eyes, the same rounded cheeks.

"Can I help you?" No matter how much disdain Grace had for her sister her daughter deserved none of it.

"I haven't seen my mother... since breakfast," she said nervously, "I was wondering if you know where she is?"

"Oh," Grace said, "She told me she was heading home. Didn't she tell you?"

The little girl frowned in confusion. She felt betrayed.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I saw her leave and everything."

"Oh."

"I'm so sorry."

Grace felt a swell of sympathy for the girl. Her mother had gone without her knowledge. Anyone would be heartbroken.

"It's OK," India mumbled looking downwards to hide her growing tears.

"She must have had a good reason to go," Grace tried, "Maybe work or... something."

"Yeah," India said obviously thinking her mother had abandoned her.

"Hey," Grace said, "Whatever reason she left it's not your fault. You haven't done anything wrong."

Walking over to her Grace wrapped her arms around her. India returned the hug, sobbing quietly into Grace's shirt. Grace stoked her hair in reassurance. She looked up to find Erik standing by the house watching. Grace gave him a sad smile as she comforted her niece.

"Was she OK?" Erik asked when Grace joined him in front of the TV.

"Her mother left without her knowledge," Grace explained.

"What? Really?" he said in disbelief.

"Yeah," Grace said leaning back. Erik placed an arm behind her.

"Why would she do that?"

"No idea," Grace said absentmindedly, "Maybe she didn't want to be around the freaks."

"Who's the liar now?" it whispered.

Grace clenched her jaw.

"You good?" Erik asked.

"Fine," she said curtly.

"You are so strong," Erik whispered turning to her, "And beautiful."

Grace looked down smiling.

"I didn't know you were such a flatterer," she breathed looking up.

"I'm not," he said, "I'm just incredibly honest."

"Mmm," Grace hummed in contentment, "It's kinda hot."

"Are you saying I'm hot?"

"Maybe."

"Wonderful."

"Shut up."

"Make me," he purred.

She smiled. She cupped his cheeks, placing a soft kiss on the tip of his nose.

"If you say so," she replied.

She didn't need telling twice. Pulling his face closer she kissed him. It was much nicer than the last time as she didn't have tears streaming down her face. She had the time to enjoy the heat rushing through her. She smiled against his lips causing him to chuckle. His other hand snaked out, pulling her by the thigh into his lap.

She moved her hands up from his cheeks, combing them through his hair and down his neck. Moving her lips against his, emotion ran through her. Something hot and fiery filling her. It was joy on fire. His hands found her waist pulling her to him so there was no space between them.

"It won't last. You know that."

A bitter feeling spread through her. She pulled away from Erik. She smiled down at him, hiding the feeling inside.

"We should get dinner sometime," Erik suggested.

"Yeah," she agreed, smoothing his hair down.

"Whatever you are I adore it," he whispered.

"They'll all say that until you burn their world to the ground."

"You are so powerful."

"I could say the same about you, Magneto."

He laughed.

"It's going to be your downfall, darling. Your heart is going to get killed."

"I don't know what you do to me," Grace said, "But I kinda like it."

"Don't get distracted, Grace. You need to be alert. Don't fall back into submission."

Grace knew in her head it was right but she was happy at this moment. She was safe and no one was trying to hurt her, no one could hurt her. Not with Erik's arms around her anyway. He was strong and powerful.

She could almost taste his power on her lips. She felt a longing for it. She yearned for it. It was so perfect and she wanted more of it. It was corrupting her and she wasn't going to stop it. She was going to thrive in it.

She was going to rise up and show the world just how much they should fear her. They'd done this to her and it was time karma came for their heads. And it would. In rivers of blood and cities' ashes.

She smiled. The world was going to pay for every one of her scars and bruises.

"You've got me, Mr Lehnsherr," she purred,

"Hook, line and sinker."