CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

As he walked out into the foyer, suitcase in hand, Erik stopped as saw her standing there. Grace looked out the doors like a lost child. His heart clenched as he saw her slumped shoulders. He noticed the various bag at her feet and realised what she was doing.

"You're leaving," he stated.

"Yeah," she sighed, "I'm leaving."

Walking up next to her, he put his suitcase down.

"Going anywhere in particular?"

"No idea. New Zealand maybe? I hear they have lots of sheep."

Erik's jaw twitched as he suppressed a smile. Maybe Charles had been right, maybe he hadn't been wrong.

"What about you?" Grace asked, pulling her gaze from the door to Erik.

"I'm just going to wander until I can't anymore," he said, "Or until I find somewhere nice enough to die in."

Her lips curled into a smile.

"Sounds nice."

"I guess."

"I should be going but I can't get out the door," she said laughing slightly as her eyes filled with water, "I can't stay here anymore but I'm having trouble leaving."

Every instinct was screaming at Erik to wrap her in his arms, comfort her, tell her it was okay. He ignored them.

"I promised Raven that I'd say goodbye but if I did that I'd never leave." She looked like if someone gave her a reason to stay she'd take it and never look back. "But I'm still stalling, aren't I?"

"I do believe so."

"Can you do me a favour and push me out?" she said, underneath the joke, he could she kind of wanted him to.

"How about I just hold the door open for you?" he offered.

"That would work too."

Grabbing his suitcase he walked past her to the door. Turning the handle he pulled it open and gestured her to go through. She hesitated before picking up her suitcases. She stopped momentarily as she came to the door but the brief action was forgotten as she continued out of the school.

The fresh air hit her in the face. It didn't hurt. If anything Grace welcomed it. It was sending feeling through her body and she had to say, it made a nice change from the emptiness she'd been experiencing.

"Are you getting a car?" Erik asked. Grace shook her head. She had no idea where she was going.

"I'm terrified, Erik," she admitted, "I'm really, really scared."

Erik reached out, his fingers brushing against her hand. She opened her fist and intertwined her fingers with his. He lifted her hand to his lips, placing a gentle kiss on the back of it. She smiled at him softly. She had no idea what to do and the only thing he could think of was too forward.

"I love you," she whispered. His heart let out a sigh of relief and Erik let the truth wash through him.

He loved her. With everything he was, he loved her. And she loved him. Charles had been right. She was alone and she'd chosen to reach out to him for help. She could have cried on Hank's shoulder, or Charles'. But she didn't. Whatever had drawn Erik to her, he wouldn't forsake for anything.

"You deserve so much more than what you've got," he said, squeezing her hand. She cracked a smile.

"But I've got you, don't I?"

"Yeah," he said, "You've got me."

"I don't want to be alone anymore, Erik."

"You're not alone anymore," he reassured her, "I'm not letting go."

She leaned forward, brushing her lips against his. He pushed her hair out of her face, cupping her cheeks. He let go as she kissed him, he allowed himself to enjoy the feeling.

"I need to restart," she breathed, "I've done some horrific things and I don't think I can live with myself anymore."

"Then let's go somewhere new. Begin a new life, just live. Leave all of the murder and death in the past," he said, "You're not the only own with blood on their hands."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"I don't want to forget though," she confirmed, "I just don't want to be defined by it."

"I completely understand," Erik said,

"Shall we?"