CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Grace was pleased to find that when she woke up she was alone in her head. Her skin felt cold as she hugged herself. She felt empty, strange. It was as if she'd woken up from a bad dream. She stood up, the floor creaking under her weight as she did so.

Her memory had holes in it from over the last few days. She wasn't sure of many of the details.

Wrapping her dressing gown around herself, she pushed her feet into her slippers. She pushed open her bedroom door and plodded into the hallway.

It was strangely quiet, an emptiness had sunk over the school.

"Charles?" she called, "Hank?"

With no reply she assumed that there was no one around. She felt cold, slightly uncomfortable. Whatever was going on had set a kind of chill into the building.

"Is anyone home?"

She didn't want to be alone. She wanted to sit with someone and talk about something as mundane as the weather, just see someone. She'd never liked being alone, it was stressful, made her wonder if she'd done something wrong. It brought back feelings of times when she'd had nothing, had no one.

Heading down the stairs, the normally crowded foyer was as vacant as the rest of the house.

Grace made her way into the kitchen. Rubbing her temple she felt her head ache in protest. Everything was just kind of sore.

Rummaging around inside the cupboard she retrieved a jar of fruity tea bags. She'd never been a fan of the beverage but it did wonders for headaches. Filling up the kettle she turned it on. She tossed a tea bag into a clean mug and waited for the water to boil.

After a minute or so of waiting she grabbed the jar, preparing to put it back in the cupboard.

"You need to be resting."

Spinning around in surprised, the jar dropped out of her hand, falling toward the floor. Instinctually she outstretched her hand, willing it to stop mid-air. She blinked in confusion when it shattered on the tiles. Then it came back to her, a piece of her memory finding it's place in the puzzle of her mind.

"You can no longer use your mutation."

Shame entered her mind. Something she'd fought so hard for, something that she'd been punished for had been taken from her quicker than she could realise.

Looking up Grace saw Hank standing in the doorway. She smiled at him.

"I heard what happened," he said, "I know you weren't in control. It wasn't your fault."

"I don't remember anything, Hank," she said crueler than she'd meant, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh."

The kettle slowly turned off. She turned around filling her mug with the boiling water. Taking a small sip she let the heat flood through her. 

"Did I hurt anyone?" Grace asked.

She prayed he'd say 'no', that her conscience could remain clear.

"Yeah." Grace's heart sank. "Your sister, Danielle. Erik found her body in the forest."

She clenched her fists. Biting into her lip she willed herself to not cry. 

She'd killed her own sister, if that wasn't bad enough the woman had a daughter.

"Does India know?"

"Yes. She and her mother's body have been shipped home where the funeral is being held."

"Thanks."

"It wasn't your fault," Hank began, "You were being controlled."

"Yeah, but I still hated her, didn't I?" Grace started, smiling bittersweetly, "I still wished she'd get hit but a bus. Guess I got my wish one way or another."

Hank had nothing to say. He didn't bother trying to pretend. That was something Grace liked about him. He was realistic.

He walked across the room to where she was standing.

"Charles wanted you to know that this doesn't change your position here."

"Do you agree with him?"

He hesitated.

"No. I don't blame you but I think you need to be somewhere else," he answered, "For your safety more than anyone else's."

Grace smiled at him. He was right. She didn't belong here anymore.

"What's going on in here?"

Both Grace and Hank turned. Erik stood in the doorway almost cautiously. His gaze found the glass and tea bags on the floor.

"Hank and I were just talking," she replied. Erik frowned, eyeing Hank up and down.

"Really?" he said, "About what?"

"None of your business," Hank replied. Erik raised an eyebrow.

"He's right," Grace agreed, "It's not. Can I help you?"

"Just wondering where you were."

"Why?" Grace asked indignantly, "Am I meant to be somewhere?"

"No."

"Good. Now if the two of you don't mind I'm going back to my room to finish my drink before going back to sleep." She grinned at them sarcastically before pushing past Erik out the door.

The two men exchanged looks before Erik turned to follow Grace.

"Don't you have better things to do, Erik?" She asked as he caught up with her.

"No." She should have guessed he'd say that. "Are you alright?"

"Nope." What did he think she was gonna say? "Do you want anything?"

"Maybe I just want to spend some time with my favourite person," he said, "Am I allowed to do that?"

She pursed her lips, trying to find some excuse as to why she wanted him to piss off. She wasn't sure why she didn't want him around but she didn't and she did not have to give him a reason.

He grabbed her arm, causing her to stop suddenly. Her tea sloshed around inside her mug. She glared up at him.

"I know you've been through a lot recently but shutting people out isn't going to help," he said, "Believe me I know."

"I'm not shutting people out," she said angrily, "I was having a conversation with Hank until you came along."

He raised an eyebrow.

"Stop treating me like I'm some poor little incompetent child. I don't need your pity or you babying me."

"Well, I'm sorry that I care about you."

"I've known you for what?," she started, "A few weeks. Nearly a month. I think if you found yourself a life you might stop interfering in mine."

He let go of her arm, hurt sinking into his eyes. Guilt filled Grace. She didn't need to be so mean about it.

"Sorry, I didn't mean that."

"It's fine," he said backing away his hands in the air, "I'm glad you've gotten that out of your system. Good for you."

"I didn't it like that-"

"Have a nice day, Grace."

"Wait, Erik please."