CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Raven held the glass of water out to Erik, her mouth a thin line. He took it carefully, every part of him exhausted.

"How could she do that?" Hank asked, "She controls energy."

Charles winced he tried to adjust his position on the couch. Whatever Grace had done to him he wasn't getting better from it anytime soon.

"Matter. She controls matter," he uttered through gritted teeth.

"Since when?" Raven asked.

"Since she was born," Charles groaned, "I convinced her she could only control energy for her safety."

"Look how that worked out," Erik said.

"Why?" Hank asked Charles, "She wasn't dangerous."

"She killed over seven hundred people," Charles answered.

"What?" Raven exclaimed, "When?"

"Before she came here. She lived at a mutant sanctuary. She killed everyone there."

"And you let her work here?" Hank looked shocked.

"A woman came and saw me before Grace arrived, told me about her. She said I should give Grace a second chance," Charles explained, "This woman could predict the future. She.... she saw a future that needed Grace."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Erik said standing up, "She tried to kill us Charles! She doesn't care about shit!"

"You're angry-"

"Yes I am," he snarled, "Because you knew she wasn't who we thought she was."

"Erik, please," Charles began, "She is exactly who you think she is, she has just hit a bump in the road. If someone invaded my mind and darkened me would you kill me?"

"Yes."

The was no doubt in Erik's voice as he answered. Charles sighed.

"If someone threatened your students lives would you stop them?"

Charles didn't answer but Erik knew what his thoughts were.

"She is probably going to kill more people," Erik said, "And if you choose to believe that she's going to turn back into the perfect teacher who everyone liked then you are to blame for their deaths. You. Charles."

She remembered when it was a community of mutants, happy as they lived together. Now it was just an empty field. Nothing grew across its expanse, it was bare dirt. 

"They deserved it."

Grace turned to face him. His hair hung around his gaunt face like straw, messy and filthy.

"Why did you break me outta the physco hospital again, Gracey?" Adrian asked.

"I don't recall," she snapped.

"We need me," Adrian in her head whispered, "I can stop the X-Men, persuade them to our side."

"And why do we need them again?"

"Who are you talking to, babe?"

"Because we don't want to destroy the world, we want to rule it. It could be nice to have some extra bodies spread around."

"Coz if you're high, I would love some of whatever it is."

Grace sighed. She looked down at him like he was a parasite.

"I need you to do something for me," she said.

"Why would I do anything for you? Isn't it the other way around?"

"Not this time." She outstretched her hand and as he watched something golden began to appear in her palm. It grew in size until it was the size of a tennis ball. "Gold. Created by atoms by me, to give to you."

His eyes grew wide.

"If you help me. You'll get more, I promise."

"How much more?"

"A mountain of it."

He seemed to drool at the thought of it.

"What do you want me to do?"

Grace smiled. This was too easy. This thing before her was a shell of the man she'd known. She rather enjoyed how pathetic he was. The thing that had one controlled her was nothing.

"I'm still up here you know."

"I need you to convince some of friends of something."

He seemed to regain himself. He stood up, standing tall above Grace. He looked down at her, his thin lips twisting into a cruel smile.

"You want me," he breathed, "To use my gift... for you? Out of my free will?"

Grace laughed.

"No. You want to use your gift for me out of your free will."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because otherwise, I'll tear your molecules apart one by one, starting with your least needed organs," she replied grinning. His smile faded. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed.

"I'll see what I can do."

Grace let out a sigh.

"Thank you."

She turned, stepping away from him to look out at the empty land. From the ashes of this world will rise a better one. She wiggled her fingers in anticipation. This was going to be a hell of a ride.

"One question."

She turned back to him.

"Why are you doing this?" Adrian asked, "You never liked causing people harm. You were kind. Innocent."

"I'm embracing the monster."