CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Grace didn't know where she was going to go. She'd spend the last three years settling into a healthy environment with people she enjoyed being around. But the shadows had followed her as they always would, and here she was, packing her belongings into bags.

She didn't want to leave, that's for sure, but she had too. Not only for everyone else but for her safety. She needed to be somewhere that was unable to provide her with an excuse to be as ordinary as possible.

"Where are you going?"

Grace turned. Raven didn't look surprised to see her packing. Grace sighed.

"I'm not quite sure," she admitted, a sad smile in her eyes, "Somewhere far away that's for sure."

The idea that she was leaving started to sink in and a feeling of resignation rose within her. She sank down onto her bed. She didn't want to be lonely any more.

"You didn't deserve this," Raven said, "You're a good person."

"I could have stopped you know," Grace said, "It wasn't really him in my head, just a memory. It had no control over me."

"But your head didn't know that." Raven sat down beside. "Every time it had been given a command in the past it couldn't not do it. Your mind just thought that was happening this time as well."

Grace looked at in surprise.

"I talked to Charles about it," she said.

"Well, I need to keep packing."

She stood up, taking a deep breath. It was inevitable so she might as well look on the bright side. She got a chance to start again and take her life in a new direction.

"Remember to say goodbye," Raven reminded her as she stood up.

"Yeah," Grace said. Raven patted her on the shoulder gently.

"When I first meet Grace, I got this strange feeling," Erik said, "As if she was giving off some kind of pheromones."

Charles tapped his pen against the desk. Erik sat across from him, a fully packed suitcase resting on the chair-leg beside him.

"Now that everyone knows about what her mutation is, surely you can at least explain to me that."

Charles sighed, running a hand over his chin.

"From what I understand it's the body's response to something that has complete control over it. Every molecule, every atom is drawn to her power- excuse me, was drawn to her power and I think that's where you get the strange feeling from," the professor explained, "I'm not entirely sure if that is why but it does provide a reason."

Erik nodded. He lounged back in his chair, staring aimlessly at the floor. Charles watching him with a mixture of sadness and pity.

"You're wrong, you know," he said causing Erik to look up in surprise, "About Grace. Give her some slack."

"What are you talking about?" Erik asked.

"The conversation you had with Grace yesterday."

"I don't appreciate the invasion of privacy, Charles."

"Actually she told me about it. She feels bad that she hurt your feelings."

Erik snorted sarcastically.

"She was right though," he said, "I've known her for what? Nearly a month and I already expect her to reciprocate my feelings."

"Whatever is going on between the two of you, I can assure you she does feel something for you," Charles said, "My only advice is that she has been tortured and broken, so don't expect her to be able to show you all of the emotion you may need from her. Take things slowly."

"You make it sound like we're two lovesick teens," he laughed, "Whereas, in reality, I misplaced my interests. No need to try and protect me from the truth, Charles."

Pushing himself up and out of the chair, Erik lifted his suitcase from the floor. He gave Charles a nod before heading to the door.

"I'm serious, Erik," Charles called after him, "Don't take her outrage at feeling helpless to mean that she doesn't care for you."

"Even if that were true," Erik began, "Everyone I care about dies, maybe it's for her safety that she doesn't give a damn."