CHAPTER TWELVE

Bile rose up Grace's throat as she leaned over the toilet bowl. What little food she'd eaten since seeing Danielle again three days ago was hurled from her into the toilet. She dry-retched, her stomach heaving. 

The summer holidays had begun and any students still around were out enjoying their days at the nearest mall. Erik and the other teachers had gone out for a drink leaving Grace alone in the school.

She felt sick and not just physically. She was going through something. She was losing it. The last straw had been placed and the camel's back had broken. Everything she'd blocked out- the dark and the cruel- was coming back with no filter. Her good was being tainted, her kind was being poisoned, her light was being shut out.

"That's it," it whispered, a hand on her shoulder, "Let it all out."

She lifted her head up. Pain ran down her cheeks in the form of tears. Her stomach clenching in agony.

"It's their fault. All of it."

"Please... let me go," Grace begged it.

"I'm showing you the truth," it said, "It's like Erik said, 'they'll think you're the monster.'"

"I can't control human's thoughts about me. They won't ever understand."

"I wasn't just talking about humans."

"I don't understand."

"You still don't know what Charles has done to you."

"Charles hasn't done anything to me."

"Oh, Grace. You're so innocent."

"Stop it!"

"He did the same thing to Jean Grey. You're pets to him. Things to mess around with."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I can see that."

"Tell me what he did."

"No."

"Tell. Me."

"No. I don't do favours."

"Tell me!"

"What are you going to do in exchange for that information?"

"I'm not playing your games."

"Then you don't get to know."

"What do you want from me?"

"I want you to embrace the monster."

"I see you still like going for walks in the forest," Grace said. Danielle turned around, a stick snapping under her boot.

"Grace!" She exclaimed, "You startled me! What are you doing out here?"

"Clear my head."

"Oh."

The silence was as thick as the tension in it.

"Listen about the other day," Danielle began, "I got defensive and angry. I've been through and what happened with us... well, you've never been very open about your feelings."

"I understand."

"I am sorry," she said, "I want you to know how sorry I am but I don't think anything I'll say could fix this."

"You're right. It can't."

"Could you forgive me? For everything I've done."

Grace smiled. Danielle's words felt fake and wrong. The woman who'd taken away her worth wanted forgiveness. It was ridiculous.

"When India got her powers I realised how wrong I'd been. I came here to make things right."

"I know."

"I want her to be happy and I think you'll make an amazing teacher. I can't care for her anymore. I don't know anything about mutants and I need help... your help, so.... thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Help her, Grace. She needs someone and I can't be that anymore."

"I don't think you want that."

"I do! You are my sister and she is my daughter! I don't want some stranger to look after her."

"But I am a stranger," Grace said voice breaking,

"You were my family and I'm sorry that what happened to Mum broke us apart."

"You hated me."

"I didn't."

"It felt like that."

"I'm sorry."

"It's OK. I forgive you."

Grace clenched her fists, grinning up at Danielle.

"And I'm sorry. If only fate had been kinder to you."

Grace walked up to the stairs into the school, fiddling with a coin from her pocket. She felt a bit light-headed, nearly tripping twice. Her mouth was a thin line, the corners of her lips tilted upwards in a sly, haunting smirk.

She opened the door to the elevator, stepping in as it slid open for her. She turned around as she went down. The coin had begun to heat up. The friction in her fingers not fazing her.

She let out a breath as she entered the corridor to the training room. Letting the ID scanner identify her she stopped before trotting through the door.

The lights flicked on, illuminating the room. Spinning around on her heels she threw the coin up into the air. 

"Energy manipulation," She said, "Charles? You could have done better."

Seconds before it hit the floor the coin it stopped. It rose up so it was in front of her face. It hovered there for a second before breaking apart into tiny strips of metal. They twisted together into a small laurel wreath. It fell into Grace's hand. She stared at for a second before closing her fist on it.

"He was an idiot trying to control you."

"No," She corrected, 

"He was a fool."