CHAPTER ELEVEN

Grace had come to love the night. What had once been a source of terror for her had become somewhere she could stop trying so hard. The shadows covered her failures and successes leaving only what she had become. 

It was as if the weights on her had been taken off leaving her free. She no longer had to pretend that it was her fault. They would never accept her and she couldn't change it which meant she didn't have to act as if they could.

It hurt but she could revel in the truth. Danielle had been her sister and whatever she thought Grace wasn't to blame. She had been born with these gifts and no matter what anyone said she was not going to pretend they didn't exist or hide them. She no longer needed them to accept her, if they thought she was a freak so be it.

"Finally," it said, sighing from the shadows, "You've realised how perfect you are."

"You can't hurt me anymore."

"I never hurt you."

"Liar."

"I didn't. I just couldn't fix you. You had to do that yourself."

"Yes, I did."

Kicking at a stray piece of bark on the pavement Grace hummed to herself.

"What did you say to her?" Charles asked as he and Erik stood watching Grace through the window.

"I told her she didn't need to seek validation from her sister or anyone who doesn't have the guts to accept her," Erik said.

"Not in those exact words, I'm guessing."

Erik didn't reply. Whatever Grace was going through she was going to come out the other side a very different person from when she started. 

"She needs help, Erik," Charles said, "Real mental help. I know you're trying to help her but I fear it's making it worse."

"And your mind games are helping are they?" he snapped defensively. Charles sighed, moving away from the window.

"Erik," he began, "Whatever you know about Grace it is only very little of everything she's experienced. I feel fate has it in for her."

"And you'd know because you've been in her head."

"My friend, you need to understand that she came to me asking for my help. I gave it to her. Whatever feelings you have for Grace and any she has for you may be too much for her," Charles said, "She is not in a good place and any unnecessary emotional stress will not help her."

Erik was about to snarl something in response but stopped himself.

"I can lift buildings and yet I can't do anything to help her, Charles," he said, "She's drowning but I can't pull her out."

"I know," the professor said, "But you need to let her heal before you get her to help heal you."

"Eeny, meeny, miny, moe," Grace whispered her finger landing on one of the four trees in the distance. She let out a sigh of relief. 

Skipping up to the oak she wrapped her hands around the lowest branch. With great effort, she hauled herself up onto it. Wobbling slightly she sat up, hitting her head on the next branch in the process. She continued to climb, checking each branch for stability before she put her foot on it. 

She was about two-thirds of the way up the tree when her foothold snapped. She shut her eyes as she fell, a terrified scream echoing from her mouth. Then she stopped, her bracelets, belt and necklace all digging into her skin

She opened her eyes and saw the ground a foot below her. Looking up she found herself in the presence of Erik and Charles. Both of them looked at her as though they'd been expecting this.

"Hi," she breathed.

"Hi," Erik replied. Her belt and jewellery stopped holding her up and she face-planted in the dirt.

"Thanks," she said sarcastically. She brushed the dirt off her face. "Can I help you?"

"We think you need to talk to someone," Charles said.

"I'm talking to you right now," she joked.

"He means a professional," Erik explained.

"I'll pass," Grace said, "I've had enough of other psychologists pouring over my tragedies." 

"As someone who's studied mental health I would think you'd know when to seek help," Erik said.

"Wow," Grace said, "You guys really think I'm messed up, ay? I'm an adult, I can deal with my problems."

"You just fell out of a tree," Erik said, "You would have broken more bones than you can count on two hands."

"And I would have dealt with that too," she said, "Now please go worry about the teenagers who actually need your care and affection."

She felt attacked. They didn't trust her enough to let her know when she needed help. 

"They think you're weak," it sneered in her ear, "They think you can't handle anything. They think you'll break if they squeeze you too hard."

"I've had a rough week," Grace explained, "It doesn't mean I'm losing my marbles."

She stalked off past them.

"She's wrong," Charles said, "She needs our help and we can't give it to her unless she lets us in."

"We should go with her on it," Erik said, 

"She needs to come to that conclusion on her own."