CHAPTER EIGHT

Grace woke up to the feeling of a body beneath hers. Strong steady arms wrapped her in a hug, the scent of wood and rain-filled her nose, comforting her.

She could feel dried tears on her cheeks. Her sleep ridden brain only half functioning hadn't taken into account how strange this situation was.

Looking up so her chin was resting on his chest, Grace realised it was Erik's arms around her. At this, a feeling of security filled her. Knowing it was him somehow made her feel safer on a subconscious level. Why she was on top of him in her bed she wasn't sure, but she was wearing clothes so nothing inappropriate had occurred.

She stared at him, he was so peaceful as he slept, his features seemed softer, kinder. With every rise and fall of his chest, she relaxed, its steady rhythm reassuring.

He let out a soft sigh as he slept. Grace couldn't help but smile at it. Up close she could see all of his face in depth. He had the very beginnings of stubble and, to her amazement, a series of light scars under his chin.

Something in the back of her head was tickling her thoughts. She focused on it and she remembered why she was on top of him.

A kind of icky sick feeling sprouted in her stomach making her feel gross. She hugged Erik tighter, trying to forget again.

Grace had no way of knowing how long she'd been staring at him when he shifted under her, his eyes opening slightly as he looked up at the room. He blinked a couple of times before looking down at Grace. He didn't seem as confused as she'd been to see her lying on him.

He didn't say anything instead he tightened the hug, holding her to his chest.

"Thank you," she whispered to him, slowly putting her arms around him tighter.

He hummed softly in response as he shut his eyes again.

"Let's hope this one doesn't turn out quite so bad."

Grace shut her eyes.

Not again.

"You do realise I have nowhere else to go right?" it said.

"I'm going to get dressed," Grace said to Erik.

"You can't ignore me, Grace."

"Hmmm," Erik groaned. He loosed his grip on her allowing her to climb off him. 

Turning back to him Grace smiled. 

"Oh, please!" it groaned, "Get a room!"

Her smile faded as she went to find herself a suitable outfit for the day only to be met with the sight of it. Its lean, muscular frame standing tall before her. She reached past it for a dress. If it wasn't going to go away she just wouldn't acknowledge it. Simple enough.

"Let's see if that's true," it smirked.

"Are you alright?" Erik asked sitting down beside Grace. His bowl of cereal makes a clunk! as he set it down on the table.

Grace stared off into space, her fingers laced together.

"Yes, thank you," she said slightly dazed.

Erik could tell she wasn't. He wanted to find what was wrong but he wasn't sure where to start. He reached out, taking hold of her hands, squeezing them.

"Charles said something about your mother," Erik started, "About what happened the other day."

Grace stiffened.

"Oh," she said. She'd forgotten about that. 

"He said that was why you... had your little... moment." Erik wasn't one to comfort others and was honestly struggling to choose the right words.

"Did he now?" For some strange reason, Grace had the idea in her head that whatever Charles saw in there he would keep to himself. She didn't mind Erik knowing, she trusted him, but he'd found out via someone else.

"What's going on with you?" he asked.

Grace turned her head to him.

"I'm going insane," she said straight-faced.

"How so?"

"My memories are haunting me."

"Memories of what? Your mother?"

"He'll think you're a coward if you tell him about me."

Grace opened her mouth. She couldn't tell him about it. He'd mock her, laugh. 

"Grace?"

"Yes," she lied. For an honest person, she felt wrong to lie. "Yes. My mother."

Erik nodded awkwardly.

"Right," he said. It wasn't that he didn't believe her but he felt that she wasn't sharing the whole truth. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"What is there to say?" Grace said, one of her fingers tracing the knuckles on her other hand, "She didn't accept that I was a mutant. Period."

"Look at me," Erik said softly. She didn't turn. "Grace, look at me." This time he was much more forceful.

She turned. Her brown eyes were sadder than he'd remembered. She looked exhausted.

"I want to help you but I can't do that if you don't tell me all the facts," he said angrily.

"I'm sorry, Erik but it's not your job to help me maintain mental stability, " she said heatedly, "Now if you don't mind I'm going to go for a walk. It might actually help."

She stood up, walking to the door. It slammed shut in front of her. Jaw clenched she turned around.

Erik stood, hands by his sides, one fist clenched.

"You and I are going to sit down and have a chat about this," he said monotone. It made the hairs on the back of Grace's neck stand on end.

"And why are we gonna do that?"

"Because you have a responsibility to this school and to yourself to get better and going for a walk isn't going to help you," he snarled, "So sit down and do as you're told."

She tilted her head to the side, eyebrows raised. Who the hell did he think he was?

"No."

"No?"

"No. I don't want to."

"Ooh, now this is entertainment."

"I don't know you Erik, and you don't know me so let's stop acting like Romeo and Juliet because they both die at the end."

Erik raised an eyebrow.

"You have no right to demand shit from me!" she continued, "No right! If I want to go down a mental spiral until I'm so unwell I can't breathe, so help me! I am not some child for you to protect! I don't care if you think 'you know best' because I. Don't. Need. It!"

She let out a shaky breath, her body trembling slightly.

"That felt better didn't it," Erik commented.

She nodded.

"Yeah," Grace breathed, "Thanks for that."

"No problem."

"Why didn't you just zap him?"

"Anytime you need to vent at someone, gimme a call."