Help!

Narrator's POV

Joe stops trashing the room in search of a key and just stands there, breathing hard.

"There's no key in here" Joe said

The water is now 2 feet deep and Nick has his feet up on a bench.

"You have to go for help" Nick said.

Joe nods

"I'll be right back" Joe runs out, looking back at him once in the doorway and then splashes away. Nick looks down at the swirling water.

Joe splashes along the corridor to the stairwell leading to the next deck. A long groan from the stressing metal is heard along the hall as the ship continues to settle. Joe runs along the hall.

"Hello? Somebody?" Joe yells.

He turns the corner and runs down another corridor in a daze. The hall slopes down into water which shimmers. The margin of water creeps towards him. A young man appears, running through the water, sending up geysers of spray. He pelts past her without slowing, his eyes crazed.

"Help me! We need help" Joe yelled towards the man.

He doesn't look back. It's like a bad dream. The hull gongs with terrifying sounds.

The lights flicker and go out, leaving utter darkness. A beat. They come back on. He finds himself hyperventilating. That one moment of blackness was the most terrifying moment of her life.

A steward runs round the nearest corner, his arms full of lifebelts. He is upset to see someone still in his section. He grabs him forcefully by the arm, pulling Joe with him like he was a wayward child.

"Come on, then, let's get you topside" the steward said.

"Wait! Wait! I need your help!" Joe said.

"No need for panic. Come on" the steward said

"No! Stop! You're going the wrong way!" Joe yelled.

He wasn't listening to Joe's shouting so Joe shouts in his ear, causing the steward to turn. Joe punched him square in the face. He lets go of him and staggers back.

"To hell with you!" He said angrily.

"See you there buster!" Joe said back.

The steward runs off, holding his bloody nose. Joe turns around and sees a glass case with a fire-axe in. He breaks the glass with a battered suitcase which was laying discarded nearby. He grabs the axe and runs back the way he came.

He stops at the stairwell as gasps. The water has flooded the bottom five steps. He goes down and has to crouch to look along the corridor to the room where Nick is trapped.

Joe plunges into the water, which is up to his waist... and he powers forward, holding the axe above his head in two hands. He grimaces at the pain from the literally freezing cold water.