Slowly Sinking

Narrator's POV

Zac comes reeling out of the first class entrance, looking wild-eyed. The lurches down the boat deck towards the bridge. Waltz music wafts over the ship. Somewhere the band is still playing.

A little girl, about 2 years old, is crying along in the alcove. She looks up at Zac beseechingly. Zac moves on without a glance back... reaching large crowd clustered around collapsible A, just left of the bridge. He sees a few crewmen struggling to drag the boat to the davits, with no luck.

Zac pushes forward, trying to signal a crewman but they ignore him. Nearby Kevin and his friend Josh are being pushed forward by the crowd behind. The seamen push them back. One of them brandishes their gun, waving it in the air, yelling for the crowd to stay back.

Stairwell

Nick and Joe run up seemingly endless stairs as the ship groans and turges around them.

At collapsible A

Murdoch, an officer at collapsible A, is no longer in control. The crowd is threatening to rush the boat. They push and jostle, yelling and shouting at the officers. The pressure from behind pushes them forward, one guy falls off the edge into the water, less than 10 feet below.

"Give us a chance to live you limey bastards!" Josh yelled

Murdoch fires his gun twice in the air, then points it at the crowd.

"I'll shoot any man who tries to get past me!" He yells.

A man next to Josh rushes forward and Josh is shoved from behind. Murdoch shoots the first man, and seeing Josh come forward, puts a bullet into his chest. (I cried when Tommy got shot in the movie). Josh collapses and Kevin grabs him, holding him in his arms as his life flows out over the deck.

Murdoch turns to his men and salutes smartly. Then he puts the pistol to his head and then... BAM! He topples over the edge of the boat deck into the water.

The crew rush to get the last few women on the boat.

"Anymore women or children?!" A crew member yells.

The child crying in the alcove. Zac scoops her up and runs forward, cradling her in his arms and forced his way through the crowd.

"Here's a child! I have a child!" Zac shouts. "Please... I'm all she has in the world" he says to a crewman.

The crewman nods and pushes them into the boat. He spins with his gun, brandishing it in the air to keep the other men back. Zac gets into the boat, holding the little girl. He takes a seat with the women.

"There, there" he says to the girl.

Boat Deck

Collapsible B is picked up by water. Working frantically, the men try to detach it from the falls so the ship won't drag it under. One of the crewmen pulls out a pocket knife and saws furiously at the ropes as the water swirls around his legs. The boat, still upside down, is swept off the ship. Men start diving in, swimming to stay with it.

In collapsible A, Zac sits next to the wailing child whom he has completely forgotten. He watches the water rising around the men as they work, scrambling to get the ropes cut so the ship won't drag the collapsible under.

Kevin removes the lifebelt from Josh's body and struggles to put it on as the water rises around him.

Collapsible A is hit by a wave as the bow plunges suddenly. It partially swamps the boat, washing it along the deck. Over 100 passengers are plunged into the freezing water and the area around the boat becomes a frenzy of splashing, screaming people.