Chapter 16: The Sanatorium

A hospital. The smell of it so distinct, and heavy with old death. So bland. I was suspended, my body hanging off of the ground maybe only by an inch, taunting me while my feet desperately tried reaching the concrete underneath me.

 My wrists ached against the chains that held me, my whole body weight pulling and weighing them down. The metal was digging into my wrists so harshly that I could feel and even smell the blood running down my forearms. I could also smell the scent of dog on me as I glanced down to see my body ransacked with bite wounds like some weirdly planted tattoos.

  I was in an empty room with white walls surrounding me, the sun gleamed ever so slightly through the dust-caked curtains and lit up the room.

 It was warm against my cold skin and I shivered.

 Chairs were racked around in all different spots, and when the wind blew gently through the windows I could see bits of dust move along with it. The windowsills had mold and dirt stuck in the crevices while the cleaning supplies to my left looked like they were decades old.

 My shadow mocked me with every move I made, showing me how exposed and vulnerable I really was.

 I tilted my head and glanced out the window. There was nothing outside. There were no people or cars, and I couldn't even hear the animals outside. The only thing that stood were the trees and grass that were now swaying with each passing wind.

 This wasn't a hospital.

 This was a sanatorium.

"Abigail, oh dear Abigail." A taunting voice sounded from across the room with footsteps echoing with each step. I briefly look up and see the woman from the other night before walking toward me with a ludicrous smile.

 I saw Elijah and her standing in front of each other again. Caressing his face between her palms and her lashes fluttering from his eyes to his lips. Elijah looked completely hurt but also disconnected from her as something flashed across his eyes. 

Lust?

 Definitely, but not for her as he pulls away letting her hands fall to the side.

 It was almost like it was in front of me.

 I blinked and looked around seeing the same foreign walls surrounding me. I sighed and shook my head while blinking rapidly to clear the dizziness. As the hallucinations were starting I could hear that awful, infuriating voice enter my ears again.

"Look at me."

 I didn't. I didn't want to look at her face and her absurd smile. All I wanted was for me to be in bed tucked in my beloved silk covers with a fresh shower.

 But with my luck that obviously couldn't have happened.

 Her footsteps picked up pace in my direction and before I knew it a hand forcibly grabbed my cheeks and made me look up. Deep brown eyes stared right into my blue ones. Looking, almost scourging for something. Instead, all she got from me was a stoned face bitch who was done dealing with problems caused by other people.

 Besides I didn't have enough energy to care.

"Of course it's you."

"What are you talking about?" I sighed.

 Peeling her hand away she looked at me, furious. Abruptly, my head swings to the left as her hand connects with my face. I gripped my hands around the chains and pulled on them roughly while hissing and snarling at the woman who had just struck me.

Pissed would be an understatement, I was absolutely fuming.

"You bitch!"

 Without fail a smile creases her lips finally achieving something other than the dull exterior I was representing.