Chapter 6: A Request, Not A Message

"Mrs. Johnson has asked for another cup of tea."

"I think we're out of available tea pots!"

"Where is the Duke, Paul? He had asked for another round of-"

"Shush it, Nadia! And cut those onions quicker! You don't want to upset the Duchess!"

... I sighed.

That was mainly what was happening in the kitchen with the personnel of the mansion; utensils clashing, angry voices and all kinds of noises echoed from the other side of the door as I walked through the hallway.

It seems like today's party was a living hell for them, too.

Rarely did my parents host, um, gatherings or -to put it more simply- tea parties, and today was one of those days. Arrogant aristocrats squirming in every room, women gossiping while making conniving compliments to each other and men shut in the living room with the lovely company of smoke and liquor.

Me? I was somewhere in between.

"Can't choose?"

A voice beside me made me snap out of my thoughts.

A young man, around the age of twenty or so, stood tall next to me, with his head turned towards my direction.

"Choose?"

"Choose which side you should join in on the fun. Men or women?"

Smiling, I shook my head, "I don't think I belong to either of those sides."

The friendly stranger smiled too, dimples forming on the edges of his lips.

"What about you?"

"Well, I'm supposed to go in there with the men and listen about politics and the economy of our country but..." he trailed off, his face muscles relaxing even more as his smile stretched a bit.

"But?"

"But I found a rather interesting miss in the meantime so, I think I'll have to pass."

I let out a light-hearted laugh. I did not know why, but there was something about this one that made me feel at ease.

Apparently I had taken a liking for strangers lately.

"I'm Henry."

"Elizabeth, but you can call me Elise."

"Ah, you are indeed the Duke's daughter," he replied with a hint of astonishment, "The rumour has it that she is quite the-"

"Bizarre one?"

Henry chuckled, lowering his blue eyes for a moment, "I would say quite the beauty."

Ah, smooth-spoken. He must have been experienced with flirting, I suppose.

I narrowed my eyes at him, failing to keep my smile from reappearing.

"Who is spreading those awful lies?"

... Well, I guess I had found a way to face boredom with the company of that lovely young man for the night.

"They are definitely not lies."

"So who are you, oh-so courteous sir? Because I'm sure I haven't seen you around before."

Sooner or later, we found ourselves walking side by side in the garden, a stroll through the colourful flowers and plants. The sound of our heels clicking against the stoned path, along with our chatter, offered a comfortable atmosphere.

I don't suppose mother would care much whether I was absent from her joyful tea party or not.

"Well, nothing too exciting, I'm afraid. Henry Elham Norton, first-born son of Baron Anthony Norton."