Chapter 10: Fall, Fall Apart

Why did this feel a bit awkward?

I let my eyes dart around the room one more time, seeing that everyone was heading towards the dining room in silence. I thought when Moette mentioned we would be expecting the Nortons that she meant on the afternoon but, apparently, mother had so meticulously planned for a dinner with them and requested that I would prepare myself accordingly. Ignoring that very last part, to my pleasant surprise, the Baron and his wife were quite open-minded and kind people, a fact that also explained why Henry was so well-mannered and good himself.

His younger brother Joseph, on the other hand, wasn't as charming as the others.

He appeared rather disdainful and proud of his prestigious title among the other aristicrats, making often rude and aggressive remarks about other nobles of the country. I did not really care about the latter though, but the way he expressed himself with that tone of self-importance, well, he was starting to get on my nerves.

"Elise? Aren't you coming?"

I turned my head up, seeing Henry staring down at me with a warm smile. His flawless looks made me momentarily forget about the pain in my left knee.

But like I said, momentarily.

Walking normally was quite the challenge for me, considering the fact I had to hide my wounded leg and avoid trudging. It was fine until now, since I had been sitting in the armchair in our parlour for the whole time, but now I had to walk back to the dining room for dinner.

"Yes I am, but..." I paused briefly to recollect my thoughts, "You can go ahead. I'll be following shortly."

Instead of listening to my request though, Henry furrowed his eyebrows suspiciously.

"Alright but, are you certain you feel fine? You look a bit pale and you haven't stood up the whole day. Is something the matter?"

Fortunately, there was only me and him currently in the parlour, allowing me to feel less alarmed without the presence of my mother around. She didn't really seem to mind whenever I talked with Henry. On the contrary, she and the Baroness would stare at us with a proud smile on their lips and whisper afterwards. She really was determined to have me marry someone, anyone at this point.

I groaned inwardly.

"Can I be completely honest with you, Henry?"

He seemed pleased to hear that.

"Why, of course."

I took a big breath and bent over, grabbing the edges of my long dress. As I was about to lift the skirts of it up, Henry's flustered voice stopped me halfway.

“Elise, um, I don't think it's the right time for–”

"What are you talking about?" I raised my eyebrow, revealing finally my wrapped wound, "I just wanted to show you this."

The colour instantly returned to his face as his eyes fell upon my knee, widening at the sight of it.

“What is that? Did you hurt yourself?"

"Don't say that so loud!" I mildly scolded him and let the fabric fall over my leg again, "To be honest, my parents don't know about it so I want to ask of you to keep it a secret."

There was something about Henry that made me feel confident enough to confide in him, something that made him trustworthy. Perhaps it was that irresistible grin of his and the warmth twinkling in his light blue eyes whenever he smiled.

Henry looked even more confused as he turned his attention to me again, "How did you even get this wound, Elise?"

"I fell off the horse. My parents don't like it when I ride our horse, so they can't find out about my wound. Please, promise you will keep it a secret, Henry."