Chapter 12: That Makes Two Of Us

I dragged my feet upstairs, step by step in order to soothe the numbness of my knee that I would get whenever I bent it.

Not to mention this very uncomfortable dress. It was extremely tight around my torso, that cursed corset. I could barely breathe in it.

As I reached the very top of the staircase, I noticed something very bizarre happening in the corridor.

Or more accurately, waiting for me.

"You're late, Elise."

Mother was waiting for me right outside my bedroom, her slim figure in the dim-lit hallway sending shivers down my spine the second my eyes trailed over her frightening form. I inhaled a sharp breath, putting my hand on top of my chest.

"You scared me, mother."

"It's already the afternoon. I suppose that piano lessons took longer today?"

"Yes, Mrs Blackwell wished to extend today's lesson," I replied and, in turn, asked my own question, "Why are you standing there? Is something wrong?"

Her smile, a forever cold smile, revealed her white teeth as it stretched a bit more. Even when we were alone with no audience, she would still keep that flawless porcelain expression on her face. As if she found it essential to look perfect and elegant at all times.

However, a knot formed in the pit of my stomach. Only because I could interpret what that expression meant.

And I think I could predict what was about to follow soon.

"Follow me," she just said as she entered my room, the door creaking as she left it open for me.

I gripped the silk fabric of my dress in an attempt to brace myself for what was to come. Of course, it was expected. After how I had 'misbehaved' at yesterday's dinner.

Soon enough, I was standing in the room myself and, before I could say anything else, the door swiftly flew close and I finally saw that porcelain mask crumbling to pieces, revealing what was really hiding on my mother's face.

Fury, in the form of patience.

"Now listen how things will go on from here, Elise. First, you are to visit the Nortons and apologise for your demented behaviour. And I will have you know that your engagement announcement is scheduled two weeks from now."

"What?" I uttered, blood rushing to my head. I was boiling with anger in a matter of seconds, "You must be kidding me. I have nothing to apologise for. And certainly, I am not getting engaged."

... She moved too fast. Too sudden.

Her fingers, like claws, yanked my jaw in their tight grip as she squeezed my face, bringing it violently close to hers. But hers was not perturbed. Hers did not reflect disturbance. It was simply emotionless as she indulged in her act of brutality.

"Did I say that I cared about your opinion, you ungrateful female? I am your mother and you have no say in this."

She then released my face from her vulgar grip, pushing away as she did so. I lost my step, stumbling backwards until I leaned on my bed's frame board for support. When I raised my gaze slowly to meet hers, it was burning. It was burning with spite and frustration.

"I've been way too lenient with you. It's high time you took your role as the daughter of the Duke more seriously. Or else, you'll be greeting adulthood in a monastery."

I grtitted my teeth.

"That would be ten times better, then."

In response, she gave a sarcastic smile.