Chapter 13: Tell Me A Story

"Elise, what are you doing?"

"I'm looking."

"Um, looking for what?"

Not there, either. Maybe it's on the other shelf? No, wait, maybe I didn't search that side of the room before.

I stood on my toes, stretching my back as I reached out to one of the top shelves of a bookshelf. I heard Moette's sigh as she stood by the double doors of the library, watching me worriedly as I frantically paced around the room, searching meticulously every nook and cranny. It had been two hours since I began my pursue of that very significant knowledge again that kept bothering me for a while now.

"Elise, if you tell me what you are looking for, I can help you find it. What book is it that you're searching for?"

I released a sigh of defeat, dissatisfied with my lack of results.

"It's a storybook of some sorts. A tale."

"A tale?"

I turned to face her.

"Do you perhaps know a tale about a girl named Wendy Darling?"

Moette's reaction shattered my last ray of hope when I saw the confusion on her face.

"I've never heard of it before."

"Yeah, I thought so."

"Maybe you've got it wrong? Maybe it's named differently?"

"No, I don't believe that's the case here," I furrowed my eyebrows, "I think that tale doesn't exist at all."

"Huh?"

I couldn't help it.

Ever since I talked with Madeline the other day, the matter of her similar Neverland book and that girl's name, Wendy Darling, tormented my mind and thoughts. I knew something was off with both. It was maybe just my intuition, but that was also the only thing that kept me busy those last four days I've been wandering around this house. Besides, it was a good chance to occupy myself with something and not die of boredom.

I was rarely seeing my parents lately, as mother would occasionally visit her friends and father would be busy with his upcoming political campaign.

"Why are you searching for that specific storybook, anyway?"

I bit my under lip.

If that tale doesn't exist after all, then that means...

"Elise? Are you listening?"

"Hm? Oh, yes, sorry," I absent-mindedly answered, trying to remain on my train of thoughts and retain my concentration.

Wendy Darling, Wendy Darling...

Was that really only a character's name in a storybook?

I tried recalling the conversation I had with Madeline, think back on what had struck me as odd.

"It's a tale," Madeline had said, "About the first girl who went on Neverland... But like I said, it's just a tale. It's not real."

I felt my head splitting in two. What was that supposed to mean? How could I possibly find answers to this? Where should I look? What-

"Elise."

"Moette, not now, please. I'm doing something extremely important."

"Elise, I'm just worried. You have been restless these past few days. I've never seen you so anxiously energetic before. Is something going on?"