Chapter 7: Five Questions

"... Peter?"

The familiar figure in the library made me stop on my tracks. I would have never expected to see him there, on that specific day, in the presence of so many people in the house.

I thought coming to the library would offer me some peace of mind, but there he went again, appearing out of no where to stir my thoughts.

"You play wonderfully the piano, Ellie." his voice was soft, while his fingers trailed upon the piano keys, "I had never heard you playing it before."

"Well it's not for just décor, you know," I answered and paced towards him, "I've been having piano lessons, so I'm confident in my skills."

His fingers ceased. Sitting still, Peter didn't even turn to look at me, not even when I was standing next to him.

"Play something for me."

His request made me feel uneasy. I breathed out heavily, trying to look more tranquil than I actually was. Peter never asked me of anything, nothing like this anyway. It was such a simple request, something so unlike him, that I couldn't help but feel greedy.

"Alright. But you have to stand up so I can sit—"

"No. Sit next to me," he demanded, his tone firm, "I want to see you play from up close."

Sit... sit next to him?

I gulped. That didn't sound like a good plan, really. His presence was imposing enough in a room. How could I possibly concentrate on playing while having him right there, shoulders brushing, arms touching and his eyes tracing my hands?

Before I obliged to anything, I tilted my head curiously at him. Why wasn't he looking at me? It didn't seem like his usual behaviour, the nonchalant one, when he chose to be indifferent to my remarks or words. This time, it felt like he was... avoiding me.

"What's wrong, Peter?"

"Hm? What's wrong, Elise?"

I crossed my arms.

"You are bizarre today. Not the way you usually are, that is."

Watching closely his profile, I spotted a smile stretching across his face. Somehow, that made feel slightly at ease.

"We all have the right to have a bad day, don't we, Ellie?" glancing at me, he slightly moved to the side and patted the seat next to him, "Will you do me the honour to spend some time with me?"

Still wary of his motives, I decided to go along with whatever he wanted, just this once.

Carefully sitting next to him, I noticed with the corner of my eye his gaze following me curiously, breathing a sigh of satisfaction. He did act aloof today, alright.

"Do you have any specific request?" I asked, stretching my fingers as a brief warm-up.

"Play the one you played before. I liked it."

"Für Elise? Alright."

And I began. Once more, I let the flow of music guide me, made my mind wander free of thoughts and lost in the entrancing tune. However, this time, I had someone else to play for. Someone I actually wanted to hear me play.

Funny, wasn't it? I thought playing with Peter watching me would make me feel anxious, but his presence there only offered peacefulness.

While I was emptying every unnecessary thought out of my head, a light weight on my shoulder made my fingers cease any movement. It was Peter's head; glancing to my left, I was startled to see Peter leaning on my shoulder, his eyes closed and his face radiating serenity.