Chapter 8: In The Woods

It would be a lie if I said I wasn't anticipating for the night to come.

After Peter's statement, all I could think for the rest of the night and next morning was what he could possibly want this time. Usually, he didn't appear every day and not at a specific time of the day, either.

But he was pretty firm about tonight's meeting, or however else I could call this.

... It was already midnight and yet that boy had still not appeared.

The more I stared at my open window while thinking what could he possibly have in mind, the sooner I realised that maybe he wouldn't come at all. Perhaps he forgot? Or maybe something came up? He was so mysterious after all, all I could do was guess about his whereabouts.

He never spoke about himself.

Well if he did appear, perhaps it would be a good idea to try and learn more about his background.

Or anything concerning him, that is.

"What a thinker."

I looked up. There he was, standing by the window against the wall. It felt like the first night we met, when he appeared just like that in my room during the night.

"You were waiting for me," he noted.

He looked so smug at that moment. I scoffed.

"I was merely curious."

"Good," he replied and moved towards the window again, "Because we are going somewhere."

I raised an eyebrow, "What? In the middle of night? Where?"

He didn't seem the slightest interested to answer me as he just hopped on the windowsill and slightly bent down so as not to hit his head.

"What are you doing, jumping down? You know it's too high to land safely down there, right?"

"Just follow me for once, without questions."

I paused. This was so bizarre. He came here to go on an adventure with me?

I sighed. Ugh, whatever. It would be nice to be a little daring for a change.

Without indeed questioning him any further, I approached the window too and, despite wearing just my night gown, I decided to follow him without a haste.

But before I could even mimick his stand, Peter effortlessly jumped over to the sturdy and wide branch of the nearest tree, which reached my window. But what was even more surprising was that Peter made it look so easy.

He turned to me and raised both of his eyebrows with a smirk.

"You're coming?"

"As if it's that easy," I murmured under my breath and stepped on the windowsill, "If I fall, I'll drag you down with me."

Peter chuckled and stretched out a hand, "Try me."

He was annoying, alright.

Nothing like the sullen boy he looked from yesterday. In fact, he even seemed to be in a good mood.

I wonder why he was like that.

Reluctantly, I took his hand to balance myself as I hopped on the branch, hoping not to fall off. I never thought I would be doing something like this.

But it was... thrilling.

"Oh boy," I breathed in and out, afraid to look down, "I still don't understand why we have to leave like that."