Away from everything

"You have to be cheating" Flynn laughs. That genuine laugh escaping him once again; the one that I was quickly coming accustom to hearing. The one that also made me smile.

I shake my head. "You're just terrible at this" I grin, chuffed with my third strike.

I'll admit I was slightly worried when Flynn said he was getting us out of the house but now I was glad he did. It's been so long since I've been bowling and I forgot just how much fun it can be, especially when I'm kicking Flynn's ass.

On my third shot, I bowled such a bad ball all I could do was stand there and laugh, then Flynn joined in and we both just ended up in convulsions of laughter at nothing.

I'd somehow improved as we played on, although a part of me is convinced Flynn is letting me win; but I don't know, It doesn't seem like something he'd do for... well me!

It is still Flynn after all.

I pick up my bowling ball and walk to the line with it, eying my pins. There are three points between Flynn and me. I swing my arm back but before I can throw it, I feel a pair of arms around my waist, picking me up.

The ball slips from my fingers and I see Flynn's white converse gently kicks it down the alley.

    "Now that's cheating" I laugh as the ball slowly rolls into the gutter.

    "Me, cheat? Never" Flynn chuckles, gently placing me back down.

    "Yeah right" I cross my arms and gaze up at him. I'd spent months being tormented by this 'bad boy' but tonight I was seeing a whole different side of him; a nice, human side. His grey/blue eyes twinkling back at me. "You're still going to lose" I affirm.

    "Oh. My. God, Leah Brown?" I snap around at the sound of a horribly familiar voice calling my name. "Look at you, looking all cute and shit" She stares me up and down in disgust.

    "Piss off Lauren" I snarl automatically.

    "Well that's not a very nice way to greet an old friend"

    "You're not my friend and you never were"

    "Good, so there'll be no hard feelings when I steal this hot guy from you" She grimaces at me as she approaches Flynn, standing between us. She flirtatiously places her hands on his chest. Flynn bares flinches but his eyes flicker at me questionably.

I try to remind myself that Flynn is here and that the new me is nice; but I can still feel my temper rise with every moment she has her hands on Flynn.

How dare she touch him.

    "Get your skanky claws off him" I snap. Flynn steps back, looking a little taken back by my sudden change of persona. "Why don't you just fuck off back to the rock you crawled out from under"

    "Why don't you make me?" Lauren says stepping close to me. Close enough that I can smell her overpowering cheap perfume.

Too close.

I take a breath and step back from her, trying to calm myself. I've been doing well at behaving myself. I can't let this bitch from my past ruin all my hard work.

    "Once a failure, always a failure" She snickers.

Nope, can't do it.

I feel my clenched fist swing and hit her straight in the jaw. She stumbles backwards but I step with her, hitting her again and again until she falls to the ground.

One of the guys with Lauren grabs my arm and pulls me back. I don't hear what he says but as I turn to defend myself from him. I see him fall backwards to the ground, clutching his nose with his hands.

Flynn shakes his hand and glares at me with a satisfied smirk.

    "I warned you to never to mess with me" I snarl at Lauren as she's assisted up from the floor by another friend of hers.

I turn around only to be faced with two Garda, with a third apprehending an un-phased looking Flynn.

Shit.

...

    "What the hell where you thinking Leah?" My father yells at me before we've even made it to the car. "Do you even realize how much trouble you'd be in if she'd have pressed charges?"

A part of me knew that Lauren wouldn't press charges. I guess that's why I did punch her. Lauren always tried to wind me up but knew not to cross a line. She knows what I'm capable of and how far I'll go, regardless of the consequences.

I just don't think she knew where that line was today.

But I think I helped her to remember.

    "I know dad, I'm sorry" I say in a squeak.

    "I don't think you do" He stops and stares at me "This is your life you're throwing away and why? because some girl got to you" I lower my head in regret. "You promised us a fresh start Leah, you said no more trouble"

    "This is my first slip up in months" I defend, looking him in the eye. "It won't happen again, I promise"

    "Next time, we can't help you Leah. you're on your own" My dad stalks off leaving me, my mother and Flynn standing there in silence.

    "Flynn we'll drop you off to your bike, will you be okay from there?" My mother speaks kindly to him.

Flynn nods his head in response and glances at me. I turn away, not wanting to look at him or for him to see this side of me.

I knew I slipped up big time, especially with Flynn around.

Of all people for me to mess up around, why did it have to be him? Why did he have to witness the argument with my father?

My father pulls the car in next to where Flynn had earlier parked his bike and apologizes to him for the whole ordeal and thanks him for sticking by me, which sent a pang of guilt through me. It was because of me that Flynn also got in trouble tonight. I'm sure he has his own problems without being dragged into mine.

I want to apologise and thank him too but I can't face him right now.

I keep my eyes fixed on my window as the car door opens. Flynn politely dismisses my parents gratefulness and closes the door.

Seconds later the sound of his bike coming to life takes over my brain and I have the sudden urge to hope on and ride away from here.

Away from everything.

Just like I used to.