Chapter 2

"What happened?!" I cry to my Mum through my tears.

"He had stopped somewhere in his lorry and noticed his load was loose. He went to his trailer and went to secure it," she began, her voice becoming quieter and quieter. "I don't know exactly how, but he fell, he hit the trailer first. He then toppled out of the trailer and hit the ground hard. You know how high the trailer is off the ground, right?"

"Yeah," I say, tears still flowing down my face. I've been to where the lorries are parked to help Dad with various jobs, like unpacking his lorry. I'd seen the trailer, and it is very high off the ground when attached to the lorry. Falling that distance would cause serious damage, not to mention the first impact.

"Well, he lost his memory for what happened afterwards. Apparently, a cop came across him screaming, and called 999. He was airlifted to hospital and has been lying here every since. Unconscious but alive."

"What are his injuries?" I ask, looking at the bruising on his arms before noticing his band is gone. His band is gone?!

"Two fractures to the skull, five ribs broken, his collarbone broken, a bleed on the brain and not to mention the extensive bruising, he's lucky he is alive," she says, her eyes filling with tears again.

I sit in the chair next to the bed and stare at my Dad in shock. I'd never imagine he would ever get as badly hurt as this. I've been a lot closer to him since finding out he was an Utauloid Actor. Which brings up another question . . .

"Where are Dad's possessions, like his glasses?" I ask, also noticing he wasn't wearing his glasses.

"They were taken by the cop who discovered him," she explained. "Your Granny is coming down and will collect them."

"Right," I say, relieved he will get his band back. I bite my lip as I realise what this means. I Mind-Message Teresa, and then Rachel.

Me (to Teresa): 'Hey, my Dad is seriously injured, so he will be unable to do any filming, or anything like that for a while. Minimum time, I believe, it will be a year.'

Me (to Rachel): 'Okay, I know what happened! Long story short, he fell out of his trailer, breaking five ribs and his collarbone, received two fractures to his skull and a bleed on the brain. He also has extensive bruising.'

I opened my eyes again, and saw Dad slowly opening his eyes. He looked around and saw me and Mum by his bedside. He slowly moved his arms before wincing in pain. A nurse came over when his heartbeat started to race, which was picked up by the heart monitor.

"Let us help you," she says, hitting the call button above the bed. Two more nurses came over and with their combined effort, they were able to lift Dad into a sitting position. They removed the oxygen mask, allowing Dad to talk.

"What . . . what happened?!" he said, noting his bruising, and holding his hand to his chest, hissing in pain. That must be his broken ribs. I guess his memory is still hazy.

"You had an accident . . . you fell out of your trailer," Mum says, wiping her tears away.

His eyes get a look of revelation, he must have remembered what happened, before it switches to pain. He clenches his fists and grits his teeth. It must be so painful to remember. I couldn't imagine being in that situation. I receive Mind-Messages back from Teresa and Rachel.

Teresa: 'Don't worry about it. Tell him, that I said, just to focus on getting better. It isn't like he will be needed for much anyway, he plays a pretty unpopular Utauloid anyway.'

Rachel: 'Damn, that is bad! I can't imagine what you and your Mum are going through right now! I'll compile all the notes and send them over by Mind-Message both before and during the exams! I have a feeling that you will be unable to revise much!'

I sigh, Rachel is probably right. I am already out of my mind with worry. How am I supposed to concentrate on revision or even the exams like this? I look to my Dad once again and he looks at me, worry etched on his face and pointing to his wrist. I understand what he is thinking about.

Me: 'Don't worry, it was picked up by the cop that found you. Granny is coming down and will be picking up everything.'

He sighs in relief, and I don't say I blame him. He must have known about the bands being stolen six months ago.

Me: 'Also I Mind-Messaged Teresa about the situation, and she says that you should just focus on getting better.'

I open my eyes once again. He gives a very small jerk, before looking to me and nodding. He looks very subdued. I hear a lot of clanking, and deduce that lunch is being brought around on a trolley.

"We should grab some lunch, Mia," Mum says, who also heard the clanking. She has cheered up slightly, now that Dad has woken up. "We can see Dad again once we have eaten."

I follow her and go to a shop in the hospital, that has drinks and snacks. I look at the sandwiches, and notice one with ham and cheese and grab that, along with a bottle of Oasis to share with my Mum. We pay and sit at a table, as the shop had a small section with tables for people to sit at to eat.

I sit and eat in silence, lost in thoughts of Dad and my upcoming exams. I start to worry, the timing couldn't be worse. Dad is seriously injured and my GCSEs are coming up, my most important exams. Not like I have been worrying about them the whole school year.

I finish my sandwiches and play with my band. I look at my hand with my Soulmate Mark, though I couldn't see it through the foundation covering it. Not much really matters to me anymore, I just want Dad to get better.

"Don't worry, your Dad is in capable hands," Mum says, interrupting my train of thought. She must have seen my fidgeting and the look on my face. I nod, closing my eyes and taking a drink. I sit and wait for my Mum, who finishes soon after.

She pulls her cardigan closer around her and when I look at her black t-shirt and leggings, I am reminded of something I wanted to ask.

"How did you know?" I ask. "How did you know Dad was injured? You were at work."

"Your brother contacted me through the work phone," she explains. "The police called him, telling him what had happened. The police originally tried to call me through my mobile, but it was turned off."

"Was that when you called me?" I asked.

"Yeah, actually," she said. "Lucky your phone was turned on for once."

I nod, knowing how I frequently forget to charge my phone and whenever I do, I usually keep it on silent.

"Well, we should go back to your Dad before he starts worrying about us!" Mum says, giving me a weak smile.

"Yeah," I say, still fiddling with my band.

However, when we finally get back to his ward, he is fast asleep. A nurse comes over. "We dosed him up on morphine and other painkillers, so he may be asleep or groggy for a while."

We both nod and we sit down by his bedside. I place my hand gently on top of his hand, careful not to knock the IV. I really hope for him to get better.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A/N Looks like a serious injury alright. However, the main plot point will be the next chapter, which is later than I anticipated, but the injury came into play.