Chapter 9

Kevin's POV

I sit back in bed, ignoring the pounding pain in my head. I just sat there, worried for Mia.

Today has not gone well, through no fault of ours. I decided to pay her a surprise visit, imagining the look of surprise when I turned up on her doorstep. I never imagined that I would crash into her above her house.

My head began to throb harder, as I remember slamming hard into the concrete. When I woke up in hospital, my thoughts began to race, manifesting into worry as I saw my wings were fully exposed.

It wasn't alleviated when Mia mentioned that our wings would have been seen, as we were transported to hospital. I remembered the bandages wrapped around her head, mainly obscured when her hair framed her face.

That doctor had given me the creeps, as that fake smile didn't fool anybody. I am suspicious of the hospital itself, as he was the only worker I have seen here.

I worried desperately as Mia was wheeled away, my heart being torn apart ten minutes later, when I heard her screams. They were terrifying to hear, and when I heard more echoing through the corridor, I contemplated blowing that doctor to bits the next time I saw him. Guilt racked through my body, as I couldn't protect her.

I touched the bandages wrapped around my head, and cursed that I was rendered so weak by something so trivial. I couldn't do anything, and I blamed myself so much. Why didn't I master healing spells, the only thing holding me back from helping Mia?

My heart stopped when the screams ceased. 'N-No, she couldn't be . . .' My thoughts began to race once more, becoming more pessimistic the more time went on.

I look up as I hear a faint clicking, the same noise Mia's bed made as she was taken off for 'tests'. The door opened and a nurse walked in, pushing Mia's bed in front of her. She was unconscious, her hair covering her face, leaving her back exposed.

As she breathed out, her top slipped and I saw ugly black thread patterning her back. Stitches . . . wait . . . stitches?! My heart began to race, as I examined the stitching. I couldn't see the full extent of what happened to her, as her top was still covering the top part of her back.

"What did he do to you, Mia . . .?" I whispered, as she was wheeled back beside me. I looked over the rest of her body, for any clues. My eyes were drawn to her ankle, and I see a orange ring encircling it.

"Wait . . . that's the tail ring . . . Fanloids and Utauloids received them . . ." I whispered again, as yet more thoughts whirled through my head. "She . . . must have . . . switched. But . . . why?" I focused on the stitching on her back again. I stand up, and, ignoring the dizziness, made my way toward her.

I relied on the wall for support, the room whirling crazily. I took her top, and, apologising to Mia as I did so, lifted it so I could see her whole back. I clapped my free hand to my hand as I looked over the stitches covering her back. As I looked, a bit of blood escaped and rolled down her back. I wiped it up using my hand, as tears dripped down my face.

I look closely and realised one of her cuts started where the holes for our wings would be. No, he didn't . . . not to Mia! But the stitches told me everything.

I crashed into the floor, as the combined shock and dizziness hit me at the same time. That doctor . . . I'll kill him! He mutilated her . . . looked for her wings!

"Huh . . .?" I heard a soft voice from above. I looked up, and my deep blue eyes met chocolate-brown eyes. "Why are you on the floor?"

Her voice held no fear, just sadness. Her cheeks suddenly blushed bright red, and I when I got to my feet I realised why. She had just discovered that her top had been lifted and exposed . . . a little more than I wanted to see . . . I mean, it was a bit too early. The blood rushed to my cheeks as well.