Ch. 18: The Sir Rotingar Ball Pt 2 {OVA/Special}

A porter saw me approaching and opened the massive decorative doors before me. I nodded a thank you and walked in. Immediately, the string quartet's music filled my ears, the polite laughter of women, the low grumble of men happily chatting. The place was filled to the brim with old men in posh suits, young beautiful women in large dresses, highly decorated army men and Commanders in uniforms. Some people wore masquerade masks, others didn't. Formally dressed waiters and waitresses balanced champagne glasses on silver trays. The golden light from the chandeliers filled the place with a glamorous glow. The walls were decorated with paintings while white and gold statues on plinths adorned the window sills. I scanned the room to find a familiar face. More specifically Sarah's, but I couldn't easily see through the dense crowd of people.

I have to admit, I've never really liked parties. They have a funny way of making me feel alone. I would rather just hang out with my friends. Besides, I can't even get drunk tonight so what's the point? I've just got to stand around, look pretty and wait to go home.  For some reason, everyone in here seems to be having a nice time...

I decided that walking towards anybody would be better than standing around alone like an idiot, so I made my way to the nearest waiter and nabbed a glass of champagne off their tray. I turned my back to them, downed the whole glass, then replaced it with a full one. 

I've only just entered and I've already gone directly against Erwin's rules...

I spotted Levi in the far corner, looking out of place with his cravat tied around his eyes. He must have found another entrance. The fact that I was wearing a mask made me feel almost anonymous. It gave me the confidence to dance with him in public. Levi held his hand out, inviting me over to him. I couldn't catch my smile before it spread over my face. I started towards him, giving a chuckle at how ridiculous we looked. Then, all of a sudden, Hange was next to him. She was dressed in a black suit, her top shirt button was undone. I stopped in my tracks, my smile fading from my face. Levi pretended he hadn't been looking at anything. Even from across the room, I could see Hange was trying to convince him to do something. Levi looked withdrawn. He was shaking his head in disagreement with her. Her grin grew large. She grabbed his hand and ran, pulling him along. Before they disappeared out of sight, he gave me a sympathetic look and shrugged his shoulders.

'Ugh.' I muttered. What's Hange want from him anyway?

'Hey, there...' A stranger's voice called from behind me. I turned around to meet a man walking up to me. He was at least fifty years old.
'Wanna dance?'

Suddenly, I just knew I couldn't be bothered with all this today. I didn't even bother saying no, I just ignored him, turned away and left.

'I'll pay!' The raspy voice yelled after me. 

Goddamn it... Where is everyone?

I bowed my head to remove my mask and looked around for Sarah. No one was really dancing yet, people were just milling about, mingling. Mostly in groups of two's and three's. I spotted Erwin in the corner of my eye and made the quick decision to avoid him. My heels sounded against the marble floors as I walked around hastily. Then, from the corner of my eye I saw Sarah's bright red dress. I eagerly made my way over to her.

'Girl, they need to open that bar already. All these old, fat men want to dance with me.' Sarah said as she noticed me coming.

'I know, it's gross. Just tell them to fuck off. I don't care what Erwin says, this is so degrading.' I replied. To save my terribly bad mood, I was going to need a lot of booze.