Ch. 30: That Day: The Fall of Shiganshina

Chapter 30: That Day: The Fall of Shiganshina

I hated it when the sun would retreat behind the clouds, it made business feel even more grim and it put everyone in a worse mood. Most of the district would be covered by our troops by now so the missions had officially begun. We wouldn't know exactly who survives until we gather our forces and begin to return home. It was a battle to keep that thought in the back of my head. Being away from my friends gave me an uneasy feeling... not knowing if they were in trouble or not. But they would be too far away at this point too meet with them without a horse. I would end up using all of my gas to get to them. 

'A titan approaching on the left.' An unfamiliar panicked voice snapped me out of my spiralling thoughts. The man I was stood next to was a rookie.  

'Huh?' I looked around but couldn't locate the titan. Then, a massive head peaked around the corner of the clock tower. 

'Oh. I see.' I said before pulling the trigger on my gear and flying away to exterminate it. It seemed to be a 10 metre class. I let my grappling hooks pull me through the air, my cloak bellowing behind me in the wind. I raised my blades high above my head, ready to bring them down to impair the titan's eyes. I released the blades from their hilts as they landed deep in the eye sockets of the 10 metre and jumped off the titan's face as it roared. I replenished my blades and dealt the killing blow. 

I flipped around in the air before landing on my feet on the adjacent roof top. Within the next few minutes the sounds of distant clattering, banging, screams and shouts came from seemingly every direction. I looked around, my brows furrowed in concern and worry but I couldn't see anything. Fear rose inside my chest, my heart pounding. The noises echoed around the abandoned city before dying out. A chill ran up my spine. This area was dry so I made the call to go and find a close group. 

I soared over the streets, meandering through buildings and alleyways. Soon enough I spotted a group of horses with a wagon. At this sight, I hit the gas and went faster. 

'Hey!' I yelled to catch their attention. A few people looked back on their horses.

'Watch out!!' A scream tore through the air from someone I'd never met before as a titan ran at full speed through a building and into the assembly of horses. My eyes widened in shock as I realised I was flying straight into it's face. I pulled my grappling hooks back, allowing my body to fly through the air in free fall. 

Levi's POV

I knew that being apart from Alyssa's team was for the best but I hated it all the same. I hated the very fact that I missed her in the first place. I set off on my horse, looking up at the sky as the clouds passed under the sun. The sudden bright light pushing my eyes into a squint. I focused my sights forward and tried to concentrate on the mission. 

This district was a densely titan populated area and my team had already passed by a few titans milling around. We were told to go north so we kept riding. We were going for about five minutes before a 7 metre titan started pursuing the group from behind at a jogging speed. 

'Don't engage!' I yelled my order behind to my subordinates. Our station was coming up. We were going to stay in this area of the district and cover it. I had to think quickly so I engaged ODM gear, abandoned my horse as it continued to run forwards and went back to kill the titan. I used my grappling hook to spin me across the front of it's face, and around to the back of the neck. Blood exploded out, drenching me as I dug my blades into the nape. I landed on a roof top and used a handkerchief to wipe my blades down. My group was dismounting from their horses and begun to shoot up to the rooftops. After about ten minutes it was clear that this mission would be fruitless. The longer we stayed out there the more ugly red stains were found on the streets. Unsettling noises, screams, shouts, grunts echoed through the empty streets. However, this area of the district was uneventful. In total about three had been spotted. After I killed the first two I considered moving along and seeing if I could help another group.