Ch. 7: How Not to Avoid Someone

'Um, where were you last night?'
I froze, unable to think of a lie quick enough.
'Err...'

'I've been stuck in bed for hours because I can't get up and dressed on my own.' Sarah said. I quickly got into gear tried to help her out.

'So? Where were you?' She insisted. I couldn't lie... there was no where I could think of. I hesitated.

'I... fell asleep on the stairs...' She looked at me expecting me to continue. I put my jacket on with care, still wearing last night's clothes. I had to make it to breakfast and then I had a meeting with Hange.

'Listen, can we talk about this later? We're running late.'

'Ugh!' She exclaimed.

I was dreading breakfast. It felt too strange seeing Levi only five minutes after climbing out of his bed.

We walked down the hall and into the kitchens. The buzz of chatter was extra loud today. As I walked over to the counter, I over heard some snippets of conversation.

'Yeah, it was so dark! I couldn't believe he could even see what he was doing!'

As well as, 'He cut down five in one go, I know they weren't exactly at their full strength but to get 5 of them in one puff of gas is just crazy.'

'It was savagery out there, they didn't stand a chance! He was plowing through them.'

And, 'The guy's stronger than we thought. I wouldn't want to get on his bad side if you ask me....'

I walked over to Alexa, who just finished a conversation with one of the guys.

'Hey, what is everyone talking about?' I asked her, wanting to get in on the scoop.

'That guy, Levi, his skills are insane. On the expedition last night, some titans were still mobile. Some more sluggish than others. But Levi killed a damn lot of them. Everyone's been talking about him more than the fact that titans are moving at night now more frequently. Still, gotta give the guy credit, you should've seen him...'

I had a hunch it was about him, he's the only one that's not here right now.

'...Word's been getting around that he's equal to a hundred soldiers...'

He didn't mention any of this when I asked about the expedition this morning.

Conversation about him died almost instantly when he entered. He sat down with a cup of tea and spoke to no one (basically his usual morning routine).

Conversation picked up again, I didn't care about what the new topic of the day was. I waited for Sarah to finish her coffee and then we helped each other back down the hallway and into to our room. My chest was especially painful today. My hangover probably wasn't helping.

We made idle chat as we changed each other's bandages (always a painful process for me, not as much for her).

I got myself prepped for the day and left to meet with Hange. I was horribly early so I went for a walk around the grounds.