Ch. 5: Hope

Chapter 5:  Hope

There's an expedition at the end of the month and I feel so badly about it. On the one hand I want to heal as fast as possible to be able to stand and fight along with my comrades but on the other hand I feel an incredible amount of guilt at the fact that, I can't will myself to heal any faster than the usual rate. Sarah and I have been spending more time together than usual, seeing as we are both practically bed-bound and we occupy the same room. We both feel like piles of useless crap, being excluded from the next expedition so far in advance.

After I told Sarah about all of my visions I decided to finally talk to Erwin about them. I thought he would look at me as though I was crazy, but I was pleasantly surprised. He took my notes and looked at the drawings as he heard me out. He was polite and took me seriously.
'There's a woman named Hange Zoe working her way up the ranks, it's been said that she has a knack for the sciences. I've been meaning to get her into the Elite Survey Corps squad with you but didn't feel the need to rush the process. Maybe she will have something to say about all of this.'
I graciously thanked Erwin for everything and left feeling somewhat more useful.

Before returning to my room, I went to see the rest of the squad in the recreation room.
I leaned on the door as I watched my friends chatting and playing card games. Everyone looked quite happy. I waved and smiled back to everyone who said hi. Two soldiers, Jan and Charlie didn't make it back, seeing their absence left me feeling a bit melancholy.

I started walking back to my room.
'So, did you tell him?' A voice from behind me asked. It was Levi, he must have just left his room because the hall was definitely empty two seconds ago.

'Well?' he said, never changing his tone (even though I could guess he was feeling a bit impatient).
I turned to meet him.

'Yeah, yeah I did.' Levi looked me up and down.

'He said that he was going to get a scientist's opinion. He doesn't want to just dismiss this,' I gave the short answer, I hate talking about my visions, I feel like people think I'm faking it or something. Even though I feel so strongly about them.

'Tch. I thought you were on bed rest for a week.' Levi said.
I gave a bit of a nervous chuckle and pushed the hair out of my face.
'Well yeah, I am actually. But I've just come back from talking to Commander Erwin.'

'I can tell you're in pain.' He said while he took two steps toward me.
'I'll make you some tea.' 

'Oh, er that sounds lovely actually. Thanks,' I started to turn back feeling giddy.
'I'll be in my room,' I added with a smile. I can't lie, he makes me feel a little uneasy. He puts me on the spot and I have no clue what he's about to do. He's unexpected.

I burst into my room, 'Sarah! Sarah, get out. Come on!'

'What? What's going on, why?' She leaned forward, put down her book and tried to meet eyes with me as I frantically cleaned up.

'I...err... well..' I couldn't possibly think of any good excuse.

'I need to use the room. You can hang out in Dean's old room for a little while. Come on, I'll help you out.' She looked beyond unconvinced.

'Oh, I get it.' She said, getting comfortable again and re-opening her book, 'Who the hell are you fucking?'
I stared at her trying to gather my thoughts.
'What? No one!'
'Mm hmm, or maybe you're just doing yourself,' She said and broke into laughter.
'Ha ha, very funny. Come on, now help me out.' I helped her lean on me, being careful of her leg and my chest, we got her into Dean's room. I handed her the book. She rolled her eyes at me with a smile and I went back to our room. I know she'll ask about this later but I put that to the back of my head for the moment and lied down on Sarah's bed (the bottom bunk).
A few seconds later, there was a knock on the door.