25. Sunlight

"I didn't know you're feelings were so strong," Viggo admitted as Sessa laced her finger with his. "Being without a stable soul, I just assumed.." he trailed off.

"But I have one now, and I realize what you mean to me," Sessa told him, "it's not just your soul I needed." She looked up into his dark hazel eyes; they sparkled with affection and joy.

Viggo hugged her close to him, resting his chin on the top of her head. Silence grew between them, nothing needed to be said anymore. The two sat together in the sand, watching the ocean swell and shrink.

The devilish dervish sat up, shaking the sand from her wings. She stretched them and hissed into the sky before extending her neck to nuzzle Sessa. She smiled as Nightshade laid her head in her rider's lap. It was obvious that the dragon was back to her usual self.

Lilith also moved over, laying down right infront of Viggo and Sessa. Her tail curled around the two humans' backs protectively. Looking around her, Sessa realized that this was a family now. Something she hadn't thought much about since she lost her soul. A sense of peace fell over her as she stared out to the horizon.

Leaning her head onto Viggo's chest, she squinted her eyes, speaking softly, "..I remember the sun. Just fragments of old memories, but I remember it."

Viggo looked down at her with a crooked smile ans cooed, "perhaps, now, it will be more forgiving of you." When Sessa smiled up at him, he could've sworn he saw the sun already shining.

"I believe you're right," Sessa responded smoothly. She looked back toward the horizon with excited eyes, "I want to stay here, and watch it rise."

"Then we shall," Viggo responded.

And so they stayed where they were, encircled by their dragons. When dawn came, Nightshade squawked and spread her large wing over Sessa and Viggo. She knew what the sun could do to her rider, and was trying to protect her. Sessa smiled in amusement.

When the sunlight touch the earth, she let go of Viggo's hand. Extending her arm in front of her, Sessa hesitantly touched the light. It stung a bit, but the stinging soon faded into a feeling of warmth. She moved her fingers around, as if to grasp the sunshine, her smile growing all the while.

Noticing this, Nightshade turned her head curiously and slowly pulled her wing back. Everything went white for Sessa. She couldn't see a thing, but that didn't matter. Turning to where Viggo sat beside her, she noticed that she could still see his soul. Perhaps because she only had half of one. She noticed that it was wounded and frayed, but it glowed stronger.

"Well then," Viggo began in a slightly playful tone, "what would you like to do on this fine, sunny day?"

• • •

Snotlout was officially releived of night patrol/watch by the rising of the sun. He yawned in exhaustion and flew Hookfang to the stables. After getting his dragon comfortable, he left for the clubhouse to report to Hiccup. After that, he would sleep for the next twenty-four hours.

But as he made his way up to the clubhouse, he noticed Sessa and Viggo also on their way up. He yawned again and greeted them with a tired nod and groan. Viggo grinned in amusement, and asked, "long night?"

"You have no idea," Snotlout responded.

"Perhaps we should take a few night patrols," Sessa suggested formally, "it would only make sense."

Snotlout looked over to Sessa and huffed a short laugh, "yeah, no offense, but I doubt that'll happen." Noticing her blank eyes and how she clung to Viggo's arm, he gave her a weird look. But then he recalled, "oh, right, I forgot you're blind in the...." He trailed off, finally realizing that Sessa was standing in direct sunlight, unharmed. "Sun! Woah! What?!" He shouted in shock.

Viggo chuckled at this. "We've managed to split my soul between the two of us," he explained, "sunlight is no longer Sessa's enemy."

"You did what?!" Another voice asked jn astonishment. Viggo and Snotlout turned just in time to see Fishlegs frozen in astonishment as he was leaving the clubhouse.

"Um, how?" Snotlout demanded in an irritated voice.

Sessa opened her mouth to reply, but immediately shut it. For once, she didn't feel completely confident in what she would say. Pink rose to her cheeks as she tried to hide her face. "That's none of your concern, Snotlout," Viggo responded with a hint of protectiveness in his voice, making Sessa smile a bit.

"Woah, did you just smile?" Snotlout wondered in awe. He then lidded his eyes and went on smoothly, "I mean, it's a gorgeous smile..I'm surprised you don't use it more often."

Sessa glanced over toward the younger man's voice. His soul was just like all of the others, yet somehow she just knew it was Snotlout. Shooting him a death glare, she responded, "my skills in sneaking through the night to end unworthy souls are also quite gorgeous. Perhaps I should use them more often?"

Snotlout backed away, holding his hands up in defense. "N-nevermind," he stuttered.