Chapter 1

I lived in Portland, Oregon until I had graduated high school and college. I studied to be a nurse. I wanted to be a nurse for a while to be able to help those who haven’t been born with accelerated healing. I feel the small town of Forks, Washington can give me that homey feeling. I feel connected to this town on a number of levels and I wish that I could just explain one of them.

Today is January 15th, 2001. I am moving into a little cottage that is secluded in the forest. In a week I am going to start my job as a nurse in Forks Hospital. I’m so excited!!!!

I am ready for a fresh start on my own. I’m ready to see what Washington has to offer.   ...

My alarm clock is set for 6:30 a.m. I wake up and put on a light pair of very ripped jeans and a cream colored sweater, and grab a duffel bag to put my scrubs in case I need to change into them. I run to my new kitchen and make an iced mocha coffee with toast covered in Nutella. As I pack my lunch that consists of a ham sandwich and some chips along with a salad and an apple, I have the tv on and see the weather on the news about how there is a 60% chance of rain. I stick my sweatshirt in my duffel bag and grab a jacket and get ready to leave around 7:30. This may seem a little late but I’m only really going in to observe and take a tour of the hospital till I know my surroundings. Everything is in my new Range Rover Sport and listen to my new baby purr to life.

As I enter the hospital I greet the secretary named Lauren “ Hi, my name is Charlotte. I’m here to meet with Dr. Ryan Peters. “

She answers “Do you have an appointment?”

“Yes. I told you my name is Charlotte Spencer. I’m a new nurse here and I’m supposed to get my tour at 9:15 with Dr. Carlisle Cullen after I meet with Dr. Ryan Peters.” I say.

“He is the fourth door on the right. Call if you need any help or just want to talk.” Lauren says.

After I walk into Dr. Ryan Peters…

“ Hello, I”m Charlotte. I had talked to you on the phone, and I was told I was going to be shown around by a Dr. Cullen?”

“Ah, Miss Spencer. You did not need to be here for another half hour. I guess the early bird gets the worm, right?” Dr. Peters says and laughs.

I giggle and ask, “I suppose. Should I wait in the waiting room for Dr. Cullen, Dr. Peters?”

“Ah, Miss Spencer call m Ryan. No, you don’t have to wait for Dr. Cullen. I will page him up here. You don’t mind shadowing him if we get busy if you don’t finish your tour, do you?”

“No, I would love to get to shadow it will help to get to know the cases and the building better.”

As Ryan pages for Dr. Cullen, I am currently facing Ryan with my back towards the door. The door opens and in walks Dr. Cullen…

His sultry voice says “Hello, Dr. Peters. How are you?”

As I stand up he says “I'm very good, and this is Miss Charlotte Spencer. She is our new RN. Can you show her around and let her meet some of the other doctors?”
(*RN= registered nurse)

As soon as I open my eyes I finally understand why I was drawn to this small quaint uneventful town that is more exciting than it seems. Never judge a book by its cover, right?