Chapter Sixteen.

"Demi, before you get to work could I talk to you?" Mrs. Jonas requested.

Leaving Nick’s side, Demi nodded and followed Mrs. Jonas outside. It was the beginning of June, so the sun had just finished setting and the air was cool. Demi tugged at the hoody Nick had given to keep her a bit warmer as she walked to Mama Bear.

"Nick told you that this was a test run today, right?" She asked; Demi nodded. "And I’m sure you’ve noticed that I’m not too fond of you or your job."

Demi wanted to make a sarcastic remark back at her, but she figured that since Mrs. Jonas was now her employer, she shouldn’t do that. Instead, she nodded her head again and stayed silent.

"I apologize for that." Mrs. Jonas said, taking Demi by surprise and she didn’t try to hide it. Her eyes widened. "Nick really does adore you and I prejudged. Although I’m still not too thrilled about this whole situation, I’m willing to give you another chance."

How generous, Demi sarcastically thought.

"However," Mrs. Jonas continued. "I would like it if you didn’t talk to my sons while you cleaned. Stay focused on the job and we’ll see how you do and maybe this can become permanent."

"Sounds good." Demi said and then she was back inside to start cleaning.

——————————

Demi was shocked at how messy three boys and two parents could be. The mess must have been hidden well since the last time she was over because she never noticed it until she was the one dusting and vacuuming and washing it. But it was definitely better than her other job. She smiled as she thought about how soon she’d be able to get out of Rodney’s house.

When she finished she approached Nick, who had been sitting on the couch in the living room stealing glances at her. “Can I have my fun now?” Nick asked, leaning toward Demi trying to kiss her.

Demi placed her hand in front of her face. “Easy now, tiger. Get your mom for me, and maybe I’ll let you have a little fun.” She said with a wink.

"Mom!" Nick shouted, still seated on the couch.

"You’re an idiot." Demi said in between laughs.

"What is it, Nick?" Denise asked as she trotted down the stairs.

"Demi’s done. Isn’t time for your inspection?" He jokingly asked. Demi slapped his shoulder, but kept a smirk on her face.

"Alright, I’ll go take a look around." Mrs. Jonas announced.

Demi took a seat next to Nick and waited. That waiting included a mini make out session while Mrs. Jonas was in other places of the house. The two made sure to straighten themselves up before Nick’s mom made it back to the living room.

When Denise walked back in, Demi stood and waiting for her new employer’s verdict.

Mrs. Jonas kept a straight face. “It all looks good. You’re hired.” Demi felt like she was talking to a robot. “I assume you want it to be permanent?”

Demi’s head nodded rapidly. “Of course! Yes! Thank you.” She responded.

"Alright, well, I expect you to be here tomorrow at the same time and working under the same conditions. I’ll be in my room, with the door open, and I expect no one to go upstairs or downstairs."

"Stay in the living room. Got it, Mom." Nick said.

"And don’t stay up too late." Mrs. Jonas added as she made her way back to her room.

Nick politely waited until his mother was out of site when he turned toward Demi. “Now, where were we?” Nick whispered, leaning closer toward his girlfriend.