Chapter Nineteen.

Wow, I can’t believe this story is finally finished, but I’m so glad I got to finish it! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I loved writing it. Let me know what you thought of the story!

The ambulance arrived minutes after and Demi continued to pray. She kept praying as she sat in the ambulance and held Nick’s hand. The paramedics worked on Nick, but Demi barely paid attention to them. Her eyes were focused on Nick and the rest of her was focused on praying.

Even though she knew it was going to be awkward, Demi called Nick’s parents immediately when she walked into the hospital. She breathed a sigh of relief when it was Mr. Jonas who answered the phone instead of his wife. Demi explained what had happened and Mr. Jonas announced that they were on their way.

As she waited for the Jonas family to arrive, Demi continued to pray. She didn’t know what else to do and it was the last thing Nick had said to her, so she felt the need to do it for him until she heard some news on him. Plus, she found it comforting somehow.

She quickly finished a prayer when she noticed the Jonas’ show up. Everyone was there: both of Nick’s parents, all three of his brothers, and even a woman who Demi assumed was Kevin’s wife Danielle. To her surprise, Mr. Jonas gave her a hug. “Are you hurt?” He asked and he actually sounded sincere which surprised Demi even more.

"No, I’m fine." She answered.

"So what exactly happened?" Mrs. Jonas asked. For once she wasn’t wearing her usual scowl she had whenever Demi was around.

Demi spent the next minute or so explaining everything that had happened upon arriving at Rodney’s.

"And they haven’t come out to talk to you since they took him in?" Mrs. Jonas asked.

Demi shook her head. “Not at all.”

"Well I guess all we can do is wait." Mr. Jonas stated.

"And pray." Demi added. She could see the surprise on Mrs. Jonas face at her remark.

Mr. Jonas gave Demi a smile and nodded his head in agreement. “And pray.”

———————————-

Demi hadn’t eaten anything since lunch. Nick had planned to treat both of them to dinner after they had retrieved Demi’s things from Rodney’s. She decided to go get something from the vending machine while she and Nick’s family waited for any news on his condition.

To be honest, she also wanted to get away from the group. With all of them in the room, Demi felt this extraordinary guilt on her shoulders. She had been trying to decide on what snack to purchase, but she couldn’t see the selections through the tears that were now forming in her eyes. In front of the vending machine, Demi broke down.

As she continued to cry she felt arms wrap around her. Accepting the comfort, Demi cried into the stranger’s shoulders. “It’s all my fault.” She sobbed.

Demi felt a few pats on her back. “No it’s not, sweetie.”

Demi recognized that voice right away. Her head instantly shot up to see Mrs. Jonas holding her. “Mrs. Jonas?”

Denise simply nodded her head and rubbed Demi’s back. “Demi, I know you and I aren’t exactly close, but I don’t want you thinking that this was your fault. I found one of the paramedics who drove Nick in and he explained to me everything you told him: about how Nick told you to leave and you didn’t.” Mrs. Jonas paused. “If you hadn’t, who knows what would have happened to my son, so thank you.”

Demi didn’t know how to respond, so she just hugged Nick’s mother tighter and Mrs. Jonas didn’t protest.

———————————-

Demi and the rest of the Jonas family waited almost three hours until a surgeon came into the waiting room. Everyone immediately stood up and waited for the doctor to give them the verdict on Nick.

"Well?" Mrs. Jonas asked. She took a hold of Demi’s hand, which made the twenty one year old smile.

The doctor smiled and shook his head. “It’s some sort of miracle, but your son is alive and well.”

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

"When he came in and I saw the wound, I wasn’t sure if he would make it, especially with all the blood loss. My team and I did everything we could and he responded well to everything." The doctor further explained.

"Thank God." Mr. Jonas breathed.

Demi heard everyone else say similar things behind them. “Can we see him?” She asked.

"Yes. I waited an hour to tell you guys. He should be waking up now."

———————————-

Mrs. Jonas was the first into Nick’s room; she had practically ran down the hall once the elevator doors had opened. Demi couldn’t blame her; she had the same urge to race to his room, but she felt it was best to let his family go in first. She stayed behind as the Jonas crew entered the hospital room.

"What are you doing out here?" Kevin asked. He had noticed Demi stop outside of the room and he stopped in the doorway. Joe stood along side his older brother.

"I thought I’d let you guys go in first." Demi responded.

Joe let out a small laugh and shook his head. Demi braced herself fo whatever snarky comment he made. “Demi, after what happened tonight, you’re family.”

Wow, first Momma Bear and now Joe, tonight was definitely getting better than from how it started. Giving the two older Jonas boys a smile, Demi followed them into Nick’s room.

Mrs. Jonas was seated in the chair beside her son’s bed holding his hand. Mr. Jonas stood behind the chair with his hands resting on the back of it. Frankie, Danielle, Joe, Kevin, and Demi stood alongside the back wall across from Nick’s bed. Nick’s attention had been on his mother but when Demi entered he looked at her and smiled.

"Hi." He softly greeted.

Demi gave a small wave. “Hey.” Nick patted the mattress on the side opposite of his mom and Demi walked over to it.

"My mom was just telling me how you two are best friends now." He gave a little smirk and Demi laughed.

"We’re taking it one step at a time." She joked.

Nick took a hold of her hand. “She also told me you were praying.” He remarked.

Demi was really enjoying the way his thumb was gently drawing circles on the back of her hand. She looked down at their intertwined hands and smiled. “Yeah, I guess. I had no idea what I was doing though.”

"Well then I guess it’s a good thing God kept me around so that I can help you with that." Nick said.

Even though she felt a little weird doing it in front of his entire family, Demi leaned down and kissed Nick. She was so thankful that he was alive. It was hard to believe that not even two weeks ago they had met and he had changed her life drastically. She had even fallen in love. She and Nick both smiled once their lips parted and she said, “Thank God.”