xxviii - perished

𝚈 𝙾 𝙾 𝙽 𝙶 𝙸

IT HAD ALWAYS BEEN HIS JOB TO LAY THE CARDS. Ready to set plans and handle everything, that's what he does. Well, Namjoon is Namjoon. But something's just off with him, even from the very start, from the time I had crossed paths with him. He had always been too observant, always to the extent of making sure that everything's as certain as it can be. Yet of course I can't blame him.

It's just that this time, I'm afraid of how much he might have heard over Jinyoung and I's conversation. I'm not sure, or I don't know rather if he was asleep or not when I was talking to Jinyoung. Or worse, he could have pretended to be sleeping and heard everything. The thought makes me frustrated as to what Jinyoung has always been telling me that he also has no interest to people who have no interest to him as well, and he never would want to share his past to just anyone.

I have no idea if Jinyoung feels the same way as I do, if he noticed the vaguely suspicious act of Namjoon.

"I want all of you guys to listen to what I'm about to say," Namjoon tells us, his eyes landing upon Jinyoung's. "If it's okay with you?"

"Sure." I hear the latter respond.

He nods and thinks for a moment, before he takes a deep breath. "Alright, so everyone surely knows. This mission's one hundred percent risky and I don't want a one hundred percent chance that will risk our lives. That's why we should play clean and get away clean. No more sloppiness, no more distractions."

"Okay," Jin nods. "So how do we do this?"

"This will be hard. I'm afraid—" Namjoon sighs "—a death risk."

"What do you mean?"

"We're sending out one person to look where the inn is. It's too dangerous if we'll all search out in the darkness, and this might be the only safe place to hide for now."

"Who will be it then?" Jinyoung asks.

A brief moment of silence fills among us. It's a very, difficult decision to make, to which of us would have the courage and responsibility to get out there and search despite of the awaiting dangers hidden beyond what we can only perceive. To be technical, one should have the ability to stay low and hidden to be able to avoid any distraction.

And undeniably there's no other person who can do it. No other than the person who can vanish out of thin air and materialize whenever he wants.

It's no one but Hoseok.

Now everyone has his eyes laid on the certain person almost hidden within the darkness. His eyes are landed down on his thighs, gaze completely avoiding ours. Namjoon shifts uncomfortably. "Hoseok, I'm not gonna have to force you if you don't want to—"

"It's okay," just so suddenly an uncertainly bright smile lights up his face to the point I can't assume if it's genuine or not.

Namjoon looks at him, concern laced in his tone, "Are you sure?"

"Our lives are all at stake," he looks out the window. "I mean, there's nothing I can do about it, anyway. I would never want to have us all eaten and wander until we get lost, which I don't wanna happen. And besides, I think Jack Frost's probably losing his ability to sustain the glass." His eyes meet with Jinyoung who in return shoots him a glare.

"It's Jinyoung."

"Are you really sure about this, hyung?" Taehyung asks in worry, and the older only gives him a sideway beam while ruffling his hair.

"Don't do anything else that'll get yourself into trouble," Namjoon tells him.

"We'll be waiting for you!" Taehyung says.