XXV

Dick glanced at Wally as they headed to the elevator in the cave. He kept his friend on a tight leash as he gaped at the fancy tech littered around and the chittering bats high in the catacombs. The lift dinged and the two stepped inside, Dick albeit hesitantly though Wally didn't need to know that. His friend probably sensed it nonetheless, squeezing Dick's hand reassuringly as the lift settled to a stop. 

The grandfather clocked shifted and they stepped out, dropping hands as their footsteps echoed on the mopped floor. Alfred wiped his hands on his apron, turning around with a plate of warm cookies as soon as the young master and his friend walked in. 

"Thanks, Alfred!" Wally enthused as he grabbed a handful of cookies. 

"Mind your quick hands, Mister Wallace, these cookies are for everyone. Master Tim, Master Dick is home!" Alfred called through the house. 

Tiny feet pattered down the stairs before Tim's body followed behind. He broke into a grin at the sight of Wally. "Hey, Wally! What're you doing here?" He asked, excited. He grabbed a cookie from the offered tray, jumping into a conversation with the older boy. 

Alfred settled his blue eyes on Dick. The boy looked like he was ready to collapse, bruise-like eye bags and puffy eyes dodging his probing gaze. "Cookie, Master Dick?" Alfred offered.

The thought of food made his stomach hurt, but Alfred's cookies had yet to fail to make him feel better. "Thanks," he muttered as he grabbed a chocolate-chip cookie. "Wally, can we go now?"

Wally ruffled Tim's hair as he followed Dick upstairs. "Are you still mad at me?" 

"Why do you think that?" Dick asked as he bumped his bedroom door open. 

"'Cause of what I did?" Wally's voice rose even though it was supposed to be a statement. 

"I believe we already handled that, Walls. We're good," Dick assured as he crawled onto his bed. Wally's face broke into an uncertain grin as he joined Dick on the bed. "Here, you know what to do," Dick mumbled halfheartedly as he rolled onto his side. 

Wally nodded as he set up the console, poking Dick with the controller as he smiled lazily. Dick grabbed the controller, leaning against Wally as his eyes drooped. He still managed to pass the finish line first in his tired state. He shook his head, getting into the game as Wally bumped his shoulder and complained obnoxiously. 

"Stupid reflexes!" Wally whined. 

"You're a speedster, your reflexes are faster than mine," Dick countered as he turned his kart. 

Wally grunted as he leaned into the controller, trying to get past his friend on the narrow lane. 

Wally fell back on the bed in defeat for the fifth time. Dick cackled, cracking his knuckles as he shook his head at his friend. "Guess you have to train your reflexes to react, speedster," Dick goaded playfully. 

"Whatever," Wally rolled his eyes, "I could still beat you in a race."

Dick snorted. "Not without your super speed."

Wally shot up, eyebrow raised in a challenge. "Wanna bet?"

Dick hopped off his bed. "Let's make it friendly, you're broke." Wally stuck his tongue out as Dick smirked. "Loser has to wear a pink version of their suit for a whole week. Deal?"

"Deal. You're gonna be a pretty, pink princess, Dick."

"Be practical Wally, you will lose and Artemis will have a whole week to come up with the greatest barbs, Baywatch. From here to the kitchen. Okay? On 'go'."