Ch. 8

Aella made sure everything was in place, that her war crown shone like molten ice.

After spending two weeks at sea, Aella was glad to be on solid land and Sebastian was as well. They had spent the journey talking, really talking, getting to know one another, their likes and their dislikes. And then they had solidified their bond, satisfied that desire so she could think straight. The Khagan's court was a place of treachery and mind games. Lust would've been a distraction. They had claimed each other and soothed their instincts.

Aella jumped smoothly off her horse, ignoring the stinging in her feet and waited patiently

"This way please"

The servant's use of their language was flawless but unnecessary, they had taken it upon themselves to learn Halha on the boat.

They were led into the palace and through the exquisite hallways to the throne room where the Khagan and Grand Empress stood at the dais, their two children on either side.

She granted them the courtesy of a shallow bow, Sebastian a solid wall at her side and their mental bond hummed.

Holy crap does he know how awful he looks with long hair?

Sebastian..... focus?

I wasn't saying it to you!

Aella straightened and stared right back at the Khagan as he gave her one of those stares that seemed to cut through her soul.

Aella..... focus?

Shut up you rutting bastard.

"Khagan, we come to ask you something."

That sounded so much better in your head, Sebastian snorted softly enough that the Khagan wouldn't hear.

"Well, tell me what it is then."

Aella's fingers twitched, ready to curl into fists but she flexed them, forcing herself to calm down.

"I need to know everything you do about Aiyra Whitethron Galathynius."

Sartaq blinked twice.
Aella had lied to Deanna. She did not intend to break them down from the inside, her magic was powerful enough to decimate their entire army in a few blows. She had come to witness this land of peace and culture so she would know how to govern it when they took over. And to spend time with her mate in a beautiful city, full of wonders. But they had needed an excuse to talk to the Khagan.

"Why?" his wife, a pretty, slim figured woman questioned

"We have reason to believe she is alive after there were a few incidents back home"

It had been the only excuse they could come up with at the time.

"I heard of no such thing." Sartaq leaned back, confident he had sniffed out her lie.

"Well then your spies are not doing their job are they?" Sebastian cocked an eyebrow

Sartaq simply stared.

"Come with me."

He stood up and walked out, Sebastian raising an arm to escort her

Shall we?

Of course

Sebastian winked at her, as she took it. Aella turned, grinning, just in time to see the Empress watching her, brows furrowing slightly, but a slight smile on her lips.

She looks like a confused mother trying to figure out if her daughter's newest hook up is a piece of shit.

That's very specific, Miyron.

Hone-

"Aiyra Whitethorn Galathynius" Sartaq said as he opened the doors to a large study room "we do not know that much about her. Our flow of information stopped once she was abducted eleven years ago. But from what we do know, she was described as..wild. To say the least. Unpredictable, deadly-even at only eight- and wild. Fae live with a foot in the forest" he nodded at Aella and Sebastian, the predatory angle of their heads, the eyes that gleamed like an animal's in the dark.

"But she was truly wild, would disappear into the forests with her shifter cousin, Gavriel Ashryver and not come back for weeks. There was always something fierce and untamed in her, a ferocity that could not be matched except perhaps by the wildest of any animal. Being cooped inside for a day would kill her, she hated monotony, she would fly above the Staghorns with her father- anything to hear the wind's secrets, to feel it on her face."

"Do you know where she is now?" Sebastian cocked his head, staring at the Khagan with undisguised curiosity.

"No. She was simply gone, wiped off any records"

"Would you like to know where she is?" Aella leaned back in her chair, smirking slightly.

The Khagan and the Empress both straightened.

"What?" the Empress' question was more of a gasp.

"Aiyra Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius is not dead. She is alive, and she is in the Khaganate Empire right now."