First Day Visiting

It wasn't very often we could see each other at conventions so whenever we did we somehow missed each other despite talking to each other at least once a week. We knew a long distance relationship wouldn't work and I was definitely not going to move to Canada-- despite the better political climate --when I had already invested in my cabin so much. Plus my grandparents are in their 90s and some of them sometimes have emergency medical issues. I can't leave! We talked about it and eventually came up with a solution. He would live with me during the spring and summer so he could deal with less snow and enjoy the blazing sun. He could arrive in early spring so we could still do some snow activities. He's allowed to stay in the country for six months though he won't be staying that long. He still has family back home.

We weren't planning on taking this relationship too fast we simply missed each other. A few days later I got a text from him telling he arrived at the airport. I went to pick him up but couldn't find him. Worried I texted him back when suddenly I heard someone behind me yell "boo!". I jumped much to my embarrassment and looked at him annoyed before I couldn't take staring at his stupid smile any longer and I burst in laughter before hugging him and giving him a quick peck on the cheek. He took a step back a bit surprised and I just continued smiling at him until I noticed his luggage, how little he packed.

"Is that all you brought?"

"I only brought my necessities: 3 pairs of clothes, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a winter jacket, I'm wearing five toques, and my phone".

"Are you sure that's enough? ; you're staying for 4 months".

"I could just buy other stuff; I'm staying for 4 months".

I squinted at him questioning his mysterious ways, "Fair enough".

"So, where's your car?"

Time Skip Arriving at the Cabin

We had almost reached the door when I slipped on some ice and almost lost my balance.

"Whoa, are you okay? You almost took a tumble there"

"I'm fine. I was in professional figure skating remember?"

"That doesn't mean you didn't learn to fall on ice in the process"

"Yeah, yeah. Come into the house"

There was barking at the door.

"Page, Molly, shh. Here, Graser, put your hand out to her snout", I pull his hand out to her

"You sure she won't bite?"

"No, it's okay, Page, baby. He's a friend.", I cooed

Molly lost interest long ago on the intruder and was lying down and Page soon settled down. At this point, Graser felt safe to pet Page the way someone would pet a cat.

"Why do you pet her like that?", I inquired while putting his luggage down by the couch.

"Like what?"

"Like a cat".

"Habit... I guess", he paused as if to think of something.

"Why do you pet and scratch Milquetoast's ear as you'd do to a dog", he retorted in defense.

"I... habit I guess".

"It's funny, his walk even reminds me of your dogs'. It's more precise than careless and swift and he walks with his butt slightly in the air, and the way he wanders about seems oddly sophisticated".

"I guess that's what happens when he's surrounded by my dogs all the time".

"Where is Milquetoast anyway? I want to see him", he perked up.

"He's sleeping on his cat tree", I replied thoughtlessly.

He walked towards him not caring to wake him while he pets him.

"Wait, you'll wake him up!"

"So? Cats always go back to sleep anyway".

"Oh, Milque... I'm so sorry...", I caressed his fur lovingly "...go to sleep, boy, I love you".

In my peripheral vision, I caught Graser smiling at me. I didn't mind him and smiled glancing back at him.

"What now?", I asked him. Normally I'd play with the dogs or take them out on walks but they both seemed rather lazy today, and I had already uploaded my video for today.

"Well, I guess I could need a shower, but I forgot my soap and shampoo"

I stared at him with 'seriously...?' plastered on my face. Sighing I said "you can use mine just don't use too much of my shampoo"

"Where's the washroom?"

"The bathroom's right over there" I looked in the direction replying smugly.

He took his luggage and a towel and went to take his shower.

I sat on the couch cuddling Page while I waited.

"I smell like flowers" I heard him complain behind me. 

Immediately I stopped zoning out and looking back I responded: "and what's wrong with that?".  I let go of Page and made myself toward him with a poker face. Hugging him I continued with "you smell nice", I sniffed his hair and put my right hand through it. He held me tightly from the upper-ribs right below my armpits. After a few seconds, he answered with "and you smell like Page and flowers" with a confused look on his face.

I stepped back from his embrace and glared at him,  I soon rolled my eyes and let out a small airy laugh as I felt my lips tug at their sides. "Well, I always end up smelling like Page and having dog hair on me", I looked to the side.

Soon after he got hungry and started complaining about it; he probably has French ancestors. He insisted on going out to eat but I didn't feel like leaving the house today. I offered to make our food and he obliged. Some people may see this as following gender stereotypes cooking for one's man but really you learn to cook for yourself as well. It's a basic life skill. And I wasn't about to teach him when I was trying to make our food because he might ruin it. I made us braised cod fillet with asparagus. 

He complained that his serving was too small and went for seconds. It must be because he's actively working out, he needs more food for more energy. Funnily enough, I actually don't eat much. It took my doctor ages to figure out why I was overweight, it most likely had to do with my milk intake. Who would've known? A cute innocent obsession became a health hazard. I've been drinking cashew milk ever since. 

 It might also be that my gluten allergy makes me bloat and that I've struggled to eat three meals a day routinely. I never really ate everything I was served as a kid and with now having celiac disease carb-based foods like pasta and bread tend to be flavorless making it even harder to have an appetite. 

Gluten is in a lot of things: chicken broths, malt vinegar, salad dressings, soy sauce, seasonings, spices, couscous, most veggie burgers, barley, bulgur, rye, and oats produced in factories, and so much more. I'm really only safe with ingesting fruits and vegetables, seeds, nuts, legumes, rice, dairy, eggs, oils, and most kinds of vinegar. Otherwise, if I do eat something with gluten hello bloating, trapped gas, diarrhea or constipation, headaches, drowsiness, and abdominal pain. Even indirect contact is harmful. It can take months to recover completely.

When we were done eating we decided on going to the store for Graser to pick up some hygienic necessities such as shampoo and soap.

He refused to get Dove soap when I suggested he'd get it. I figured his skin would start drying out in the hot American weather arriving in a few months. I told him it was better to use women's Dove soap bar because it's meant to moisturize the skin while most men's body wash and soaps were designed to get rid of oils and deodorize. He finally gave in when I insisted and managed to convince him that the original Dove soap smells like almost nothing, that it just smells really faint of something akin to baby powder and that once he'd rinse he would barely smell it.

You may be asking why I went to the store with him. There are two reasons: one, I didn't want to leave his presence because I'd miss him, two, I knew where everything was in the store so it was practical for me to accompany him.