A Letter From Mom

Another chapter. Hope you guys are enjoying this story as much as I am writing it. Happy summer. 😉😊😎

Jay stared at the envelope in his hands, as he had been doing for the last hour. He hadn't taken his eyes off it since he got back to the Monastery of Spinjitzu.

When he returned to the monastery, he rushed to his room without speaking a word to any of his teammates. He hoped that none of them had noticed, because, for once, he wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. He was still in complete shock after what his parents told him.

'I'm adopted?' Jay thought to himself, still staring at the envelope. 'Why is that bugging me so much?'

Jay wanted to open the envelope, and read what his birth mother had written for him, but he just couldn't. It wasn't that he didn't want to, but he was afraid of what it would say.

Instead, he reread the words written on the envelope, again. "To Jay from Mom," he read aloud softly, still unsure of how he felt about all of this.

Sure, Nadakhan told him he was adopted when he was around, but Jay thought that he was just messing with him. It turns out, he was right, and Jay hated that more than anything else in Ninjago.

"Stupid Nadakhan!" Jay grumbled to himself soft enough for none of the other ninja to hear him, since he and Nya never told them about Nadakhan.

Jay then signed and ran his gloved hand over the envelope. He just wanted all of this to be a nightmare that he was going to wake up from any minute, but it wasn't.

A knock came at the door, followed by a familiar female voice asking, "Jay, are you okay? Can I come in?"

'Nya!' Jay thought, a little panicked. He wasn't sure if he wanted to tell her - or anyone else for that matter - about him being adopted yet.

But then he thought, 'I shouldn't keep any secrets from Nya, or the others, that's what got me in the whole Nadakhan mess in the first place.'

Finally finding his voice, Jay called, "I'm fine Nya, you can come in!"

Nya entered the room and sat down next to her Yin. She had noticed that he looked upset when he came home, but decided to give him some time to himself first. That is, until she got impatient.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Nya asked again.

This time, Jay said, "I'm not sure to be honest, Nya."

The raven haired girl put a hand on Jay's shoulder and said, "You want to talk about it?"

"Yeah, I think that might be nice." Jay said, and managed a small smile.

So, he told her everything that happened when he visited his parents. After he was done, he was crying a little and Nya wrapped her arms around him in a comforting hug.

"It's okay," She said as she rubbed his back in order to calm him down. "Everything is going to be okay, Jay."

When Jay was done, Nya looked at the letter in his hand and said, "You didn't open it yet."

"I don't think I can." Jay said.

"Why not?" Nya asked, although she already knew the answer.

"Nya, she abandoned me. I don't want to read a letter that just says she didn't want me." Jay said, sounding really upset, then threw the envelope on the floor and turned away from her.

"But you don't know that." Nya said, moving so she could face Jay again. "For all you know, she could have wanted to keep you but couldn't."

"But what if that's exactly what it says." Jay asked.