09

It had now been five months since Lacey had been missing. The police were beginning to give up. There were only a few police investigating her disappearance.

Kendall had found out she was pregnant and she was still annoyed with Simon. She couldn't forgive him for taking advantage of her little sister. Especially as she was drunk at the time.

When morning came, Kendall woke and immediately checked her phone. She always did it. She had left Lacey a voice message telling her no matter what time it was, she would always be there.

***
Lacey was near death. She had been locked in a dark room. Neil had changed. He beat her constantly and raped her whenever she tried to escape.

The door opened and Neil walked in. "Are you going to try and behave?" He asked.

Lacey just nodded. She didn't have any fight in her anymore. She wanted to give up. She wanted to be at peace. Neil smirked and sat on the mattress next to her. "I don't enjoy doing what I do to you. But you deserve it. I can't have anyone see how gorgeous you are. They'll take you from me."

"Then let me go," Lacey whispered.

Anger overcame Neil and he stood up. He kicked Lacey in the stomach. Lacey began crying. She knew her death would come to her soon.

***
Kendall walked into work. She saw how everyone had a purple ribbon tied to their wrists for Lacey. Kendall tried to not cry.

Christine walked over to her. "She will be found. We're not giving up," she said.

"It's been five months mum. I think it's safe to say she won't. No runaway can last six months on their own. No food or water," Kendall sobbed.

Christine held her close. She knew that it was very unlikely that Lacey would come home now. She didn't want to admit that her failing as a mother had caused Lacey to runaway.

***
Neil had gone out. Lacey noticed how he had left the door unlocked. She stood up and whimpered in pain. She knew she had a brief moment to escape.

Lacey knew in that moment she had to make a choice. Stay and face Neil killing her or leave and go home. If she still had a home to go to.

***
Kendall looked up as Simon walked in. She looked at him. "Don't. Just don't."

Simon sighed. "It's been three months since I told you. Why can't you move on?" He asked.

Kendall shrugged. "Why? Because you took advantage of my little sister. You got her pregnant and pressured her into an abortion. She's been missing for five months. Even the police are giving up finding her. I can't forgive you until I know she's either at peace or she's back. For all I know, you're the reason she went missing."

"Well I'm not."

***
Christine looked up as the police walked into her office. She looked at Sonya. "Go and get Kendall. Please."

"Right."

Kendall ran into the office. She saw the police. "What's happened?" She asked.

The officer sighed. "We've found a body. This female resembles your daughter. Would you be willing to come and identify if it is her?"

Kendall fell to the floor screaming. She couldn't believe it. Sonya had heard what the police had said. Christine helped Kendall up and held her close. "I'll go."

"I want to go too."

Christine nodded and sighed. "Sonya, go and get Simon. Then explain to the staff."

***
Sonya had gotten the staff into the staffroom. She was close to crying. Nikki looked at her. "What's happened?"

"Christine and Kendall have had to go and identify a body. They think they've found Lacey," Sonya said.

The whole staffroom was in shock. They couldn't believe it. Simon stood in the back. He knew all of this was down to him.

***
Christine and Kendall arrived at the morgue. The both of them had tears strolling down their cheeks. The officer looked at them. "Take a moment. This can be hard. Especially if it's her."

Christine looked at her eldest daughter. "If it is Lacey, then we will deal with it. We will know that she's no longer in any pain or suffering. She's at peace if it is her. We can let her go."

"I can't bury my baby sister. I can't let her go," Kendall sobbed.

***
The two of them walked into the room. A curtain was pulled back. The doctor pulled down the sheet. Kendall fell to the floor.

The officer looked at Christine. Christine had a lump. "It's..."