제 |7| 장

Sung Hyun held her sword in front of her. Each nerve ending in her body tensed up for a second. That was her weak moment.

The moment her body realized she needed to fight. Whether it be for survival or not, she must use her sword.

She hated fighting. She couldn't fathom the idea of holding onto a blade that had slain countless lives before. Even before being passed down to her father; the ghosts of their blood will never leave this blade.

The only reason she can bare to hold onto it is because of a saying her father told her about, "Better being a swordsmen in a garden than a gardener in war." A little part of her couldn't bring herself to get rid of the sword her father protected.

She closed her eyes; an image of her family smiling took over her mind. Serotonin filled her capillaries as adrenaline threatened to take over.

If she didn't have a little sister, what would have happened? The only reason her mother gave in and left her daughter, Sung Hyun, for 'dead' was because there would be no one left for her poor little sister. Now Sung Hyun has a chance at escaping this hell of a mess. Reuniting with her family is her top priority.

A wide smirk was still plastered on her face as she turned to face the guard. Adrenaline already took over. She was aware of this side of her self, but she could never stop it once it took over. Her fingers gripped the sword until the veins on her hand emerged.

Her body and mind finally merged together. She needs to prove to the prince that she's worth it. Only then can she gain his trust.

The prince paused for a second. Titling his head to the side as he scratched his chin. 'He's oozing confidence' The corner of his lips turned up into a crescent shape.

"Fine then. I won't punish you." he motioned with his hand. Eyebrows arched, "But... that's If you can kill him that is." he finished with a smug grin; his tone filled with pompous energy.

The guard unsheathed his sword. He glowered at Sung Hyun; the wrinkles on his face indicated he was an old fighter. Probably more skilled, judging by the age and the fact that he is still a palace guard.

Sung Hyuns eyebrows furrowed, 'Why is he giving me that look?' she spat, pulling the heukrip off her head and throwing it to the ground. The hard impact with the ground focused all attention on her.

"What are you waiting for?" She sneered, pulling a strand of the hair that fell from the topknot behind her ears.

She never liked to be the one to first attack, well unless her life or the ones she cared for were in danger at least. In this case she isn't really in danger.

In a blink of an eye, the guard lunges at Sung Hyun taking her aback.

He goes for the head first. Spinning around his own axis before swinging the sword with the momentum of the force. Sung Hyun bends her back almost 90 degrees; right before the threshold of her breaking it. She slid in her blade right in time to parry the attack.

Acting fast before he can score off her, she flips her sword to the side so she can place her palm on it. Stepping one foot back so she can use the force from her calf muscles to ward off his attack.

"Yah! Who do you think you are?" A voice thundered through the door of the chamber before the door was slammed open. A man walked in followed by a bunch of people with their heads down. He was wearing the blue hanbok with the august white markings.

The crown princes' hanbok.

"They brought him in for me!" He declared pointing at prince Chin-Hwa with an accusatory glare, smacking his chest at the 'me'. His eyebrows almost kissing each other, scowling at Prince Chin-Hwa as if he'd just stolen his dear pet.

Chin-Hwa's head eunuch blinked several times with widened eyes, "Y-your Highness, Wangseja! (왕세자)." he gawked.

"What do you mean for you? I've already claimed him." Chin-Hwa asserted, holding onto a calm expression; with fear of it disappearing, making him look tentative and weak.

The guard still held swords with Sung Hyun; both of which seem to forget they were fighting at the sight of this vocal upheaval.

Sung Hyun tilted her head pulling her sword and back into her scabbard. 'Oh yeah.... when they caught me they said the crown prince, Yeon-Seok, would like me not prince Chin-Hwa.'

Yeon-Seok caught her gaze. "Sung Hyun, right? Come follow me." Holding his hands behind his back before turning around.

"No. He stays here Yeon-Seoka." Chin-Hwa crossing his arms in front of him with his lips pursed together.

Yeon-Seok turns around abruptly, looking daggers at Chin-Hwa. "Seok...ah?? H-how dare you?" he rubbed his eyebrows with his fingers trying his best to gain back his composure. "You think you have authority over me?" He chided, sending him a side glare as he turned back.

Sung Hyun glances between the two trying to assess what was happening, 'Well he is the crown prince...' She gazed at Yeon-Seok, rubbing her chin, 'it should be easier to leave with his permission than just prince Chin-Hwa's...'

Chin-Hwa huffed. "Look here," after a long pause, he signed- one of acquiesce . "Fine. If your guard can defeat him, you can take him." he steepled his hands together in a show of confidence at his own stipulation.

The crown prince paused turning back to face his brother, "Okay." He nodded as his lips twitched into a tremulous smile, "Ye-Seung." He peered behind him making eye contact, "I'm counting on you." His fruity voice rumbled before he stepped back making space for the next fight to begin.

______________

Wangseja(왕세자): Crown Prince