제 |10| 장

Sung Hyun's eyes fluttered open. She was laying down as her body rejected her minds first order to move.

She gave in, recalling the feeling of the blade deep in her side and the arrow that plunged into her left shoulder.

For some time she couldn't feel anything, and in hopes it would stay the same for longer she refused to move. Trying to extract the memory of what happened leading to the events that brought her here as she subconsciously observed the room.

Her memory betrayed her. Creases formed between her brows, confused as to how she got in this room and why she doesn't remember anything.

Her eye picked up someone from her peripheral vision.

In attempt to get a good look at who it may be she tries to use her elbow to support herself but instead a throbbing pain on the right side of her rib cage emerged. With each muscle she moved, the pain got triggered. She groaned, instructing all her muscles to stop moving so as to reduce the pain. 

With a hand wrapped around her side, her teeth clenched and a low grunt escaped her lips as she dragged her weight up, using the wall to support her back. As she moved her hand to put pressure around her wound which helped easy the pain, more pain emerged from her shoulder as she moved her clavicle.

Her eyes squeezed shit with her nose scrunched up as the pain vibrated through her body like boots of electricity. She tilted her head back and released one long breath as she bit her lips. Endorphins rushed their way through her body, giving her slight moments of relief. Teasing her with the things she took for granted. The torment was unbearable. 'What is this even. Why does it hurt so much?!' her mind screamed in agony.

She opens an eye and immediately meet with his almond eyes. Young-Min.

"If you keep moving the pain will get much worse and the wound may open back up." he muttered, gently pushing her back down on the pillows.

Sung Hyun glances down. She was wearing a black hanbok instead of the green one she had on earlier.

For some reason breathing become easier for her. She felt that since she woke up but didn't pay much attention to it. Now looking down at her new clothing, she realized why it was the case.

Her eyes widened. Her heart picked up the speed and her breathing became laboured. Someone took off the cloth she had binding her chest.

'He knows.'

Sung Hyun sneaks a look at him. He was sitting with his back to the wall. One knee up, using it to rest his elbow. His hair in mess and his eyes were closed. He glanced at her and their gaze meet yet again.

Young-Min kept eye contact with her, trying to study her. Her features finally made sense to him. Her jaw; no ridges or chisels, just a smooth soft line. Her face could practically fit in his palms. Her cheeks were like roses. Everything clicked, from her appearance to her peculiar personality.

Sung Hyun's breaths slowed down, and she continued to study his expression. 'Does he actually know though...?' She glanced to the side lost in thought, 'I mean it could've just been the physician who did it.' She glanced to the other side, 'But he probably told him or at least hinted it.' Her eyes kept going back and forth after each conclusion giving her a head ache.

"Why?" was all he said. Sung Hyun jumped a little, startled. 'Wait why is he asking me why...' She fidgeted with with the cuff of her hanbok. 'Please tell me he doesn't know...' She bit her lower lip as she snuck a glance at his face again.

Young-Min placed his forehead in his palms, sweat gathering on his temples. "Why are you here as an eunuch?" He questioned, his voice laced with confusion and worry.

'It's over.'

"Whom are you here for?" He took in a long breath. His eyes darken for a little. Thoughts ran through his head trying to figure out what is going on.

"I don't know what you're taking about." She states, trying to sound as confident as she could as she bite her lips through the pain.

Young-min stared deep into her eyes, confused but intrigued. "I know you're a women. A women dressed as a man. You know what can happen to you if others found out?"

Sung Hyun glances at him again. It's over. He knows o there's no point in playing dumb anymore. "I know."

"Why are you risking it then?" He snapped immediately. He eyes her from the corner of his eyes, "Are you here to kill me?"

Sung Hyuns eyes wouldn't stop blinking. Neither her mind nor her body could handle the absurdity of his question."Did you really just ask me that?" She laughed in offence. "I can't believe you. Why would I anyways? Who are you to be worthy of an assassin?" Daggers we're shooting from her eyes. She'd never been treated this way from someone she saved. And she almost lost her life saving him which hand never happened before. "I'm getting out of here, where are my clothes?" She fumed, the anger gave her some energy to push herself up.

"W-wait you can't move now." Young-min stammered pushing her back down.

Sung Hyun complies hesitantly as the pain threatened her body."I should've just let him kill you." She hissed with a scowl on her face.

Young-min realized how much of a jerk he sounded asking someone who almost lost their life protecting him when they didn't even know who he really was. "I-I'm sorry." he mumbled. "I'm being paranoid." He took a deep breath and sighed, "Someone's been sending me countless assassins for the past few weeks."

Sung Hyun giggles at the ridiculousness of what she heard, "Right. You didn't even have a sword on you. You had to use my sword. Someone who has assassins on his back would always be carrying a weapon." She explained with a sardonic grin.

Young-min nodded, he could understand why Sung Hyun wouldn't believe him. "I've never been attacked inside the palace before. I was only attacked when I stepped outside." He elucidated.

Sung Hyun looks to the side, registering his excuse as valid but refusing to accept his apology. She'd never had a wound so deep and it hurt her self esteem as someone skilled with the sword.

Sung Hyun tries to recall the incident as something came to her mind, "But you know, the arrow wasn't meant for me. It was meant for you and I accidentally got in the way so it hit my shoulder." She explained as the events slowly started to make sense in her head.

"Yeah didn't think you'd jump in front of an arrow for me." he sends her a weak smile. Guilt ate at him with each moment he realized she took an arrow and a sword for him.

"Damn right I wouldn't." She smiled back as the mood became a little more lively. She adjusted her back on the pillow. The muscles around her wounds moved unintentionally sending bolts of lighting up her back. She groaned in agony, clinching onto the pillow. The pain was unbearable as her brain shuts down and she slipped back unconscious.