When

I set down my ukulele, and sat on the piano bench, facing the crowd. "You all have been wonderful tonight, thank you so much for coming," I said. Sherlock picked up his violin. "This song is very dear to my heart; it's about someone special and close to me. I hope you enjoy this song, titled, 'When'."

I began playing the piano, and Sherlock joined in with the violin when the time came.

{Y/N}

"I think I've been telling lies

'Cause I've never been in love

Everyone falls for the sunshine disguise

Distracted by who they're thinking of."

Sherlock had his eyes closed, but mine were focused on him. I didn't care if he noticed, he knew now, and I didn't care if the crowd noticed. I wanted them to know I was in love with him.

{Y/N}

"I'd rather date an idea

Something I'll never find

Sure, I'll live in the moment

But I'm never happy here

I'm surrounded by greener looking time.

Am I the only one

Wishing life away?

Never caught up in the moment

Busy begging the past to stay

Memories painted with much brighter ink

They tell me I loved, teach me how to think."

He had opened his eyes now, hearing the lyrics. His eyes were on me, wide. His mind was quickly working out everything that had happened in the past few weeks; how I'd been nice to help him learn his music, why my whole attitude had changed after that. Why I was so upset when he was late to dress rehearsal last night. When I asked him to teach me how to think.

{Y/N}

"I'll take what I can get

'Cause I'm too damp for a spark

Kissing sickly sweet guys

'Cause they say they like my eyes

But I'd only ever see them in the dark.

I'm sick of faking diary entries

Got to get it in my head

I'll never be sixteen again

I'm waiting to live and waiting to love

Oh, it'll be over, and I'll still be asking when."

I was sixteen when I knew I liked Sherlock, but I kept it hidden deep down. No one could ever know because we were enemies; he thought using my genius in music was ridiculous. Mycroft told me I should solve crimes instead. All I ever wanted was that one day, I'd make him happy just with my music. I wrote about it all the time. I wrote this song when I was sixteen, hopelessly lost in a world of feelings.