Chapter 35 - Milestones

Shakily standing in front of him, I tear my mask away from my face, not even bothering to click the button behind my ear, and throw it to my side. Peter pulls his mask off his face, dropping it lazily beside him as he looks at me in guilt.

"I know you're still mad at me for telling my Dad about the ferry attack..." I state.

"Yes. I am. What was I supposed to do? Let him get away with it?" Peter says, annoyance in his voice. 

"No, you were supposed to let Dad handle it! Like he told us too." I counter.

"He wouldn't have made it in time! And I'm not the only one at fault here either!" Peter argues.

"Oh, really?! So it's Ned's fault for being your sidekick? It's my fault for trying to keep you safe?" I challenge, leaving out the part I really wanted to say.

"What you said isn't fair." Peter calmly explains.

"How isn't it fair?" I say with tears in my eyes.

"Because both you and I are at fault here!"

"How in Thor's name are you turning this on me?" I yell.

"You should've stayed away from the fight between me and the Vulture! But of course you had to be the hero and you could've killed yourself in the process! Do you know what that would do to me if you died?" Peter harshly explains.

"I never wanted to be the hero! I just wanted you safe! How many times do I have to tell you that?" I yell in frustration.

"Why do you care if I'm safe or not?" Peter yells back.

"Because I love you and apparently you're too dumb to realize that!" I yell before I could think. Oh, Gods, what did I just do?

Peter stands there, dumbfounded by my confession. Quickly grabbing my mask and placing it back on the lower half of my face, I jump off the building that we once stood on. Once I got close to the ground, I levitated myself slowly to the ground. With my feet below me, I ran back to the empty tower.

________________

I sit on the floor of what used to be my living room, looking out the large windows watching the bustle of the city below the launch pad easing my thoughts. My suit lays on the empty bar beside me since I hadn't bothered to pack it yet. All I wanted to do right now was sit here and wallow. How could I admit that? And right after yelling at him too... Thankfully I'm moving far away tomorrow. I'll be going into homeschool and I won't have to face Peter for a while.

Peter then suddenly drops onto the launch pad, quickly taking his mask off. I don't want to talk, especially after what happened. Nevertheless, I quietly walking over to the door that leads straight onto the pad, my heart suddenly speeding up. I step out into the rain, it's bitter cold not the only thing sending a shiver down my spine. I walk towards Peter until I stand face to face with him, the rain now fully soaking my clothes.

"I'm sorry, Erin. I didn't want to fight on the roof like that." Peter stutters.

"Then what did you want to happen?" I ask, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"This."

In a burst of confidence, Peter pushes the small of my back towards him, making our lips collide. It wasn't the calm yet exciting kisses we usually share. This one was different. It was fast and rough and full of something I couldn't seem to put my finger on. Resting my palms on his chest, I kiss back just as deep and just as loving. That's what I was feeling. Love. Suddenly, Peter pulls away from me and rests his forehead against mine.