CHAPTER 21

24th of December 2018

Finn had been looking for Thea since last night. He was beyond stressed, since it was fucking Christmas eve, and she hadn't been seen for hours. Reaching the end of the day, at about midnight, Violet texted him saying that she found her and that she's okay. The worrying didn't subside though, because Finn feared that Thea might hate him because of the way he spoke out before. His boss was right there, so he had to say something that correlated to the Captains opinions, or else he feared that there might be repercussions. He assumed that he could have his own opinion, but then he learnt that there were unexpressed rules about how far you can disagree. This was his job, and he wasn't going to lose it because, dare he say it out-loud, Thea was being overly emotional.

He felt like a dick, but he also felt right in what he did. It's his job, he isn't going to lose it over Thea overreacting, or Violet protesting. He needed to stay on the right track, but he felt like he was drifting since this whole ordeal started. He pulled out his phone, starting to write a text to say to Thea. He still hadn't seen her, he hoped that Violet knew where she was. Not wanting to confront his problems just yet, he texted Violet instead.

Have you seen Thea? I don't know if she ended up going home last night. You were the last to year from her, I think.

He waited a few minutes, idly filling in reports on his computer for the PD. He was at work, but Violet wasn't here yet, she usually came in at noon because he always worked the night-shift.

She slept at my apartment. She's fine, but she doesn't want to talk to you. Sorry, but I think you really upset her.

Finn wanted to smash his whole body into the wall. He had never gotten a text that held so much hatred to him. And it was from Thea! Thea, the girl that he's been working so hard for, Thea the girl that he makes necessary to see, Thea the girl that he cares about so much, just said that - to him? The world could've been held upside down and it still wouldn't be such a foreign feeling like this. He felt like everything around him didn't add up. Like everyone around him was suddenly speaking a different language, that Thea was somehow mute, and Finn was deaf.

'Detective?' the Captain loomed over his desk, and made the air around him taste bittersweet. 'Have you heard from Thea?'

'No not really.' Finn said glumly, he didn't feel like it was right that he was talking to his superior about something this personal. It felt pathetic, like Finn had lost all his friends - the overwhelming one being Thea - and was left with having to talk to his boss about personal matters. He didn't want this to verge onto a therapy session, so he just awkwardly smiled.

'Detective Adden called in today to say that she's sick and won't be coming in.' the Captain said with an odd tone in his voice, and it took Finn a few moments to realise the direction he was going in. 'Do you think that maybe...' the Captain dragged on, and Finn wanted to disappear, but he needed to act like he had no clue what was going on.

'She's not pretending, I'm certain.' but he wasn't certain, and he was lying. Violet and Thea barely even know each other, so Finn was even more confused that Thea had spent the night at Violet's. Moreover, Violet was now skipping work, which she never did, even when she was sick. It didn't make any sense. Thea couldn't have gotten that close to Violet within such a little time period.

'Have you gotten a text from her or something?' the Captain was peering over Finn's desk, as if to look at his phone, which he had just quickly turned off before he saw the texts. Finn didn't like the way the Captain was acting one bit, he was being invasive, and just plain weird. It left him feeling self conscious of his actions.

'Yes, and it was just one saying that her temperature was too high and that she was throwing up.' Finn was getting fed up, he needed to work, there wasn't time for gossip in his life; especially now. 'Is that good enough for you?' Finn glared sharply, and he saw the Captain hesitate in his actions. He didn't usually disrespect him, but his gossipy tone was becoming too much for Finn.

'Sorry, I was just wondering.' the Captain chuckled while he spoke and Finn wanted to roll his eyes, but fighting back his agitation, he didn't.

'Well don't.' he cut the captain short, then turned back to his work, which had suddenly become much more interesting. 'I have a case file to write up, and since you're Captain, I assume you have something to do too.' the Captain furrowed his brows, and Finn only nodded his head into the direction of his assistant, who was ushering him over frantically. Finn smiled, watched the Captain turn his head towards where the assistant was, then he - in the same busy actions that the assistant held, texted Violet.

The captain just came over to my desk asking why you're ill. First of all, you're ill? You're never ill, Violet.

He sent it quickly, still intending to write more, but he felt like maybe there was a reason for her absence that he shouldn't react angrily to.

 I'm not sick, but thanks for covering for me if you did.

Finn balled his hands into fists, he didn't wanted to text her just yet, he knew there was more that she was going to say. Violet was someone who instead of writing a text in a big paragraph, did it in annoying segments.

I'm hanging with Thea today, sorry i didn't tell you, Thea didn't want you to know. I'll see you tomorrow, tell the Captain that I'm vomiting and have a high fever.

Finn's stomach turned, he felt that Violet was using him. Violet was using him. So was Thea, and both those realisations felt like a kick in the stomach.

I already told the Captain all those things. You're quite predictable, Violet.

Finn typed angrily, put his phone on mute, and then carried on with his work. He was being completely secluded, and it left him on edge. Violet was using him so she could do whatever the fuck she was doing with Thea. And she didn't even know Thea! He knew Thea. But he didn't know this Thea that blanked him, and said that she didn't want to talk to him, and the unfamiliarity made him feel sick.

-------------------------------------

Finn's being a lil bitch. But, it was necessary for his character development sooo I guess writing him to be a douche is worth it. I've been binge-watching all the SKAMs and holy fuck, evak own me (i don't make the rules)

Anyway, hope everyone's having a good Easter if you celebrate it :) if not, hope your having a good day anyway. I had to go to two hours of church this morning... I almost died. 

As Expected, Enjoy! 

Kate