Chapter 15 - Little Lost Puppy

-Jerome's POV-

I watched in shock as Mitch, who was shivering and quivering from head to toe, looked at me with eyes wide of regret and betrayal.

"Mitch...?" I asked softly, walking over to him and placing my arms on his shoulders in a loving motion. I gave them a gentle squeeze, trying to comfort him without showing too much love, due to the judgement of the men behind us.

"H-Help.." Was all he whimpered, before darting behind me, clutching onto my sweatshirt with a death- like grip and burying his head into my back.

I was about to say something to him - ask how he knew these people - but a short scoff from in front of me cut me off from saying anything. The leader was leaning against the wall of our kitchen, a smug smirk spread across his face while his arms were crossed in such a defying matter.

"Awe, poor Mitchell. He's like a little lost puppy."

"W...What?' What the hell is going on? What did I miss?

"Jerome...' Mitch mumbled into my back, his grip on the clutch getting just a little bit tighter. "Those are the guys who beat me up.." I could feel a few wet spots forming on my back, and I could tell Mitch was beginning to cry.

I wouldn't have that.

My fists clenched tightly, and I took a large step foreward, my eyes tightening out of my own pure anger.

Sadly, that's what they were waiting for.

The second I stepped forward, I left Mitch out in the open, and two of the boys, who had been secretly sneaking their way closer to us without us noticing, swooped in and grabbed him by both of the arms. We had been too distracted with the main one - Brendan? - to notice them coming closer.

"Mitch!' I cried out, hearing his small sqeak of sudden pain and whipping myself around. By the time I had fully processed what had happened, Mitch was being pressed against the wall, and one of the guys pulled back his fist.

No way in hell, man.

I grabbed his hand tightly, pulling it back and keeping him away from Mitch. The other one let go of him, trying to free his friend from my death grip, tight from anger and resentment.

I used this upper hand I had on him and shoved him back watching him stumble over his own feet, and eventually going down and taking his friend with him. Both laid in a heap, confused and dazed.

"Shit," I heard Brendon mumble behind me, and my fists of anger got just a little bit tighter.

I walked up to him, not giving it any thought before letting go of my fist and hitting him right in the center of his stomach. He let out a sputter and cough, falling to his knees and clutching his stomach tightly.

"I would leave," I growled softly. "And I know your faces now, so I wouldn't try coming back."

The coward scrambled to his feet, falling over himself as he hurried to run out, his two goons going shortly after him, equally as clumsy.

I immediately looked back, seeing Mitch leaning against the wall, eyes still wide from terror and shock, as his bones shook and his legs trembled. In fear of him falling and hurting himself, I ran foreward, wrapping my arms around his torso and pulling him away from the side of the kitchen.

"Did they hurt you?" I asked quickly, but softly, pulling back slightly and inspecting him with worrying eyes. Even though I got my answer half of a heartbeat later, I still continued to scan him.

"Don't worry, Jerome, I'm fine, just startled and scared.." He mumbled, laying his head down on my shoulder slowly and letting out a soft sigh of comfort.

And on that kitchen floor we sat for a long time, me holding him gently in my arms, his breathing softening until falling into a comfortable pattern of sleep.

"I love you..." I whispered softly to him. "I promise I won't let anything happen to you."

A small grin spread across my face, and I buried my head into his hair, taking in no deep breath at the comfortable fluffiness.

"Maybe we'll wait a little longer until you go to school..."

-A/N-

OH GAWD IM SO SORRY

I WAS LITERALLY dRAGGED ACROSS THE EARTH THIS WEEKEND

AUUGHHH SORRY SENPAIS