Chapter One Friends and Family

711 Words.

Javier Garcia was digging in an old box under a staircase and mumbling to himself, "Where is it?....He said they were back here.....come on!...."

"Uncle Javi?" Said a voice from behind him.

"Wha-?" Javi said raising his head too fast and banging his head on the understairs.

"You Mutherfucking,shit faced-",Javi yelled before taking a deep breath and rubbing his head

Gabe took a step back, " Sorry-Sorry! I'll..uh.. talk later." Gabe said before he turned and started sprinting up the stairs.

"Nah, I'm fine,bud." Javi grumbled before Gabe finished climbing the stairs. " What did you need?" He said moving to the foot of the stairs, his face still in a grimace.

"I..uh..was..wondering what you were doing."

"Oh. I was looking for baseballs, a buddy of mine told me he saw some down here."

"That's cool." Gabe said smiling and sitting down on the stairs.

"Yep. It'd sure be nice to play again."

A silence followed, in which Javi saw, based off Gabe's face, that he wasn't really interested in talking about baseball.

"What's eating at you?" Javi asked while he climbed the stairs.

"Nothing." Gabe said quickly.

"Come on buddy, what is it?" Javi said sitting next to Gabe and putting his hand on his shoulder.

Javi could feel a lot of tension being let out as Gabe spoke, " Is Clem really leaving soon?"

"It sounds like it, Gabe. She said she wanted to start off this afternoon, after she got-"

"Really?" Gabe said loudly.

A slight frown came on Javi's face, " Yeah, you know she won't rest until she finds AJ."

"I wish she didn't have to leave....I mean she's the only friend that's my age around here." He added quickly at Javi's smirk.

" Yeah, I know man, she's pretty cool and she's saved my life more than once."

"Yeah." Gabe nodded.

Another silence followed until Gabe spoke up again, "I want to go with her Javi."

"What?" Javi said with a shocked expression on his face.

"She shouldn't go alone, it's not safe and.... I owe her my life Javi, if you and Clem hadn't of come after me, I'd probably be dead."

Javi sat quietly and nodded,signaling Gabe to go on.

Gabe rushed out his thoughts that had plaqued him for the last few days," I just don't know what to do anymore Javi, I was stupid and treated everyone like shit when my dad tried to run away from Richmond. I regret that...so... much," Gabe said slightly choking up, " Mariana....Kate.. I.. never... and my dad won't even talk to me, you and Clem are all I have left...and Clem needs me Javi, it's dangerous out there...and I need something.... a new direction...I just feel like I need to find a purpose."

After that Gabe fell silent and looked at his shoes. Javi absorbed what Gabe said for a minute before speaking, " You know what Gabe, You're right." Gabe looked up quickly, disbelief in his face, "No I mean it, After I got kicked out of baseball I wasn't sure what to do anymore, I went home and spent time with my family as I tried to piece my life back together. Clem's your friend and now, friends are as good as family. You should spend time with people who care about you and get your life back on track."

"Yeah." Gabe said smiling to himself.

"Besides, It's too dangerous to be on your own, Clem's gonna need someone she can trust and watch her back for her." Javi said half-smirking.

Gabe didn't notice his smirk and nodded," Yeah.....Yeah! You're right!" Gabe hugged Javi, " Thanks Javi."

Javi smiled, " Yeah bud, I'm here for you."

Gabe pulled away, "Alright I'm gonna get ready!" He said standing up and running up the stairs, " Don't let Clem leave!" Gabe called as he left the basement.

"I won't!" Javi yelled back, smiling to himself. He thought what Gabe had said as he left the house and went to the gate to wait for Clementine. He thought about Mariana and Kate and his heart ached. Javi knew if Gabe felt half as bad as he did, the kid was in a rough place.